Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

My water pump keeps turning on and off, about every 30 - 50

Customer Question
seconds. I called...
My water pump keeps turning on and off, about every 30 - 50 seconds. I called the plumber (home, after hours) and he said to shut the valve to the pressure tank off for 10 minutes, and then call him back and let him know if the pump keeps running. It did keep running, but then there was no answer when I tried to call him back. We have lots of pressure, and there are no leaks around the house. What should I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Plumbing
6/21/2011
Plumber: Plumbing Pro, Plumber replied 6 years ago
Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to Answer your question to the best of my professional ability. For now you should turn the well pump off from the breaker located inside your main electrical panel . How old is the well and house?
The house is over 30 years old...the well - i'm not too sure. There is a pipe coming out of the ground with a cap on it..if that gives you any idea of what kind of well it is. Can we still use the water for showers etc? I was thinking of turning the pump off at night when we are not using it, but we would need water in the morning for showers, etc...What do you think?
High water pressure is caused due to the pump keep kicking on and off, this pressure switch will turn on when the pressure drops between a set level , around 30 then will turn off around 45-50. If the pump just keeps turning on and off it's building too much pressure in the system and could short out your pump. When you turn on a faucet you release water pressure out of the closed system, once the pressure in the system drops below the set amount it will kick back on to rebuild pressure . That's why during a shower you might have good flow for about one minute , then will slow down slightly , then kick back up and so on and so on, that's the pump kicking on every time the pressure builds. When a pressure tank goes bad it will cause this when the pressure tank is filled with water then it's bad and will need replacement, a pressure tank , or expansion well tank is not filled with water but air , and when they get filled up with water they go bad and will cause the pump to not know when to turn off. Knock on the tank on the top side and bottom and the sound should be hollow , if it seems it's more deep then the tank is filled with water. Also a tank is not very heavy depending on size and should appear easy to push , not that you want to but just by placing you hands and applying pressure to the tank as if you wanted to push it. Slight pressure to a normal empty tank should appear very light and if you apply too much force you would break or push it. When the tank is bad the tank will be very heavy and you could push some good force and the tank will be too heavy to move .
If the problem is not coming from the pressure tank then the pressure switch on the well could be bad and causing the pump to act funny by not Turing off, not turning on , at the wrong pressure setting causing problems like this.
Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber