Mark
Mark, Union Plumber
Experience:  32 Years Experience in Commercial, Hi-Rise, Residential Construction, 4 years Project Management
48714917

Hot water heater is leaking from top. What could be the problem?

My gas hot water heater is leaking from the top - not from one of the lines (hot or cold lines). It seems to be slowly leaking out of the center area (out of the exhaust area) while the tank is in heat mode. I've already checked pressure relief and it's working, I've also flushed it... any ideas?

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.

Mark :

Could be your anode rod. Look for a large hex nut on top and see if water is coming from there.

JACUSTOMER-tpcmirbn- :

Where is this hex nut? Does it lie within the exhaust line?

Mark :

No. it should be on top of the tank near the center. You would remove the hex nut and replace the anode. This is a tank type water heater correct?

JACUSTOMER-tpcmirbn- :

Yes, the tank type.

Mark :

All water heaters have a sacrificial anode to prolong the life of the tank and components. What make and model #?

JACUSTOMER-tpcmirbn- :

It's a Bradford White model #Mi 5036FBN7

Along with the previous place I mentioned (within the exhaust area), its also slowly leaking from each of the lines--heater side.

And when I say I checked the pressure relief, all I did was manually open it to release pressure.

Mark :

That's fine. They are supposed to be tested periodically. Still looking for this exact model. Electric Upright correct?

You have a newer model with either a 6 or 10 year warranty on the tank. Bradford-White has the replacement anodes if that's the problem. Sounds like you have more than 1 leak though.