How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Plumbing Pro Your Own Question
Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 1284
Experience:  Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Plumbing Pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Kohler single-handle shower faucet (Fairfax model)

This answer was rated:

I have a Kohler single-handle shower faucet (Fairfax model) in one of our bathrooms. It's a little over 10 years old, the problem is that it no longer provides hot water. For a few weeks prior to this, every once-in-a-while (1x a week?) it would lose hot water in the middle of taking a shower, which I would turn the shower off. I then would turn it back on and most of the time would get hot water again, however there is no hot water now at all. All the rest of the faucets in the house have hot water.

I tried adjusting the setscrew, and actually removed the collar once that didn't work, the valve stem rotates the same degree (less than 180 degrees) with or without the collar, what's the purpose of the collar and setscrew? I'm not sure if this is a valve problem, pressure balancing unit issue, or sediment clogging the hot water line.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to Answer your question to the best of my professional ability. The color and set screw is to adjust how far the handle can rotate to allow more or less hot water to go threw the faucet. These sh owed valves have a built in balancer in the cartridge , when sediment and other particles in the water build up inside it will clogg the flow of water, to fix this you need to replace the shower cartridge, home depot will sell a replacment . Also with the cartridge out turn the water on real quick and then back off this will blow out anything stuck inside that you can not see. hank you for choosing Just Answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX collar and set screw, I figured it was for adjusting the how far the handle can rotate, but when I took it off and tried turning the handle it still turned less than 180 degrees, the exact same radius as when the collar and set screw were on, shouldn't it have turned further?


When you say "shower cartridge", do you mean "pressure balancing unit"? Want to make sure I'm clear as to what I'm looking for.

Yes you can call it a pressure balancing unit or a cartridge. The handle will only rotate 180 degrees even with the collor and set screw off , what it does is stops how far it will turn when it's on.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, thanks. If this doesn't fix the problem, do I need to back flush the unit to try and remove mineral deposits that may be deposited? If so, how do you do that?
That's hard to do , you would have to turn off the water in the house and open up all faucets hot and cold then get a air compressor and find a way to made a sleeve that would fit in the valve that you can use to blow air into the valve and grew the ports. Most often times it's the cartridge it self and a replacement will fix the problem, also while you have the cartridge out of the valve turn the water on quickly on and off a couple of times this will flush out anything stuck inside the valve.
Plumbing Pro and other Plumbing Specialists are ready to help you