Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

Kohler shower faucet needs repair. It provides no hot water

I have a Kohler single-handle...

I have a Kohler single-handle shower faucet (Fairfax model) in one of our bathrooms. It's a little over 10 years old. The problem is that it no longer provides hot water. For a few weeks prior to this, every once-in-a-while (1x a week?) I would lose hot water in the middle of taking a shower, which I would turn the shower off. I then would turn it back on and most of the time would get hot water again, however there is no hot water now at all. All the rest of the faucets in the house have hot water. I tried adjusting the setscrew, and actually removed the collar once that didn't work. The valve stem rotates the same degree (less than 180 degrees) with or without the collar. What is the purpose of the collar and setscrew? I'm not sure if this is a valve problem, pressure balancing unit issue, or sediment clogging the hot water line. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

4/3/2011
Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to answer your question to the best of my professional ability.

The color and set screw is to adjust how far the handle can rotate to allow more or less hot water to go through the faucet. These shower valves have a built in balancer in the cartridge. When sediment and other particles in the water build up inside, it will clog the flow of water. To fix this you need to replace the shower cartridge. Home depot will sell a replacement. Also with the cartridge out, turn the water on real quick and then back off. This will blow out anything stuck inside that you can not see.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

In regards to the collar and set screw, I figured it was for adjusting how far the handle can rotate, but when I took it off and tried turning the handle it still turned less than 180 degrees, the exact same radius as when the collar and set screw were on; shouldn't it have turned further?

When you say "shower cartridge", do you mean "pressure balancing unit"? Want to make sure I'm clear as to what I'm looking for.

Yes, you can call it a pressure balancing unit or a cartridge. The handle will only rotate 180 degrees even with the collar and set screw off, what it does is it stops how far it will turn when it's on.

Ok, thanks. If this doesn't fix the problem, do I need to back flush the unit to try and remove mineral deposits that may be deposited? If so, how do you do that?

That's hard to do. You would have to turn off the water in the house and open up all faucets hot and cold. Then get an air compressor and find a way to make a sleeve that would fit in the valve that you can use to blow air into the valve and grew the ports. Most often it's the cartridge itself and a replacement will fix the problem. Also while you have the cartridge out of the valve, turn the water on quickly on and off a couple of times; this will flush out anything stuck inside the valve.

Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber