Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience:  Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago
31194769

We have Whirlpool hot water heater. Pilot light wont stay

We have Whirlpool hot water heater. Pilot light won't stay lit. Have replaced thermocouple and the gas valve. Supposedly condensation is putting out the pilot light. Is that true and if so how to over come. If not that what else to try?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumbing Pro replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to Answer your question to the best of my professional ability. How old is the hot water tank? Did you replace the parts with genuine replacement parts from the manufacture ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The hot water tank is about 6 years old and yes both parts are genuine parts

hot water tanks have a life span of 6-9 years and shorter depending on water quality and how often the tank is used. Once a tank reaches that age parts start to go bad and they become a money pit, I never recommend any one to fix or repair a tank ofthat age because of the experiences I have in the past. Once you replace one part its another part then another part and never ends , what’s worse taking a cold shower before work because the tank went out again or the wasted time and money on parts and repair? That’s what you have to ask your self . Now In many cases your problem is the thermostat and it over heater and as a safety it put the pilot out so the tank doesn't over heat . If you have moisture in the combustion chamber that means the tanks is seeping water and leaking slowly and they tank is shot and will need to be replaced for sure . Please use this information to educate your self on hot water tanks and only you can make the next move on weather you want to keep messing with it or just replace the tank, keep in mind when something is that old it can go out at any time and like an old V-8 car with 200,000 miles and it gets bad gas mileage, same goes for a old tank , in one years lets say it cost you 350-400 to operate the tank because its not as efficient as when they are new , If you buy a new tank you pay for it in just one year of operation and the new tanks are 95 % efficient and will only cost you as low as 180 to operate in one years time , Thank you for Choosing Just Answer. Plumbers Protect the Nations Health, , If you aren't 100% satisfied with my Answer, I would be happy to clarify for you. When you feel I have Answered your Question to the best of my ability, please click, (Accept) or you won’t be able to leave me customer feedback and I won't receive credit for Answering this question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What types of issues do cause the pilot light not to relight other than the two I have mentioned?

The thermostat can go bad and not let the tank light , the gas valve , if you have moisture in the combustion chamber it will not keep it lit. If its a power vent and the fan or circuit board goes bad it they can fail . Then just age it self and all the working parts together can fail and not allow for the tank to work anymore . If you have condensation then the tank is shot and is bad and will need replacement as there is no fixing at that point. Thank you for Choosing Just Answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If the power vent and fan or circuit board were the issue would the pilot light light at all? Or just not stay lit?

both if the fan is not working it might allow the pilot to light but not let the burners stay on or light up fully or can keep putting the pilot out over and over , also if the circuit board is bad same thing . The fan must come on and you have to hear it , if you don't hear it running then the fan has gone bad and the tank will go into safe mode , at that point the fan is bad and will need replacement .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Understand. Thanks for your time.