How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Plmqwk Your Own Question
Plmqwk, Master Plumber
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 920
Experience:  20+ years in plumbing field. Licensed master plumber, commercial plumbing inspector
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Plmqwk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to replace the stem on a fixed handle Kohler faucet.

This answer was rated:

I need to replace the stem on a fixed handle Kohler faucet. The dealer said that all I have to do is to just remove the whole topside assembly ( faucet and trim) by twisting it off. I have tried doing that with a wrench on both the top and underside and nothing moves. as i said the handle is fixed with no top screw or decorative medallion to remove to expose a screw.
What do you suggest??

Welcome to Just Answer. I will do my best to fully answer your question(s).


Is this a bathroom sink faucet?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, it is a kitchen faucet. It is not a single faucet model. I have a hot and a cold faucet

Okay thank you. They can get limed up (hard water deposites and soap build up) underneath the threads over time making them a "bugger" at times.


Grabbing hold of the faucet base (bell or cup shaped portion) under the handle (as close to the sink as possible) try turning counter clockwise. It may help to have another set of hands holding the portion in place underneath the sink so it does not move. It you cannot turn it then next try a thin clothe to cover it and use a channel lock pliers. gentle with the teeth though so you don't scratch the finish.


Unfortunately you cannot get at the threads to apply some WD-40 to assist here. Just going to need some elbow grease.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have tried what you suggest and it still does not budge. This is a Kohler fixture, I don't rember the model No. but it still won't move.

If you can find your faucet on the kohler website



I may be able to help you more but the directions with be the same. If you wand to loosen it from underneath this will allow you to raise up the valve and maybe be able to get hold of the parts better with two wrenches. its difficult underneath, not alot of room to work. Worth a shot.


Plmqwk and other Plumbing Specialists are ready to help you