Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

the hot water outlet pipe of our hot water tank has been leaking

Customer Question
quite forcibly for almost an...
the hot water outlet pipe of our hot water tank has been leaking quite forcibly for almost an hour at the point where the pipe meets the tank. I have turned off the water intake valve and the breaker controlling the electrical supply to the tank. Help !
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Plumbing
12/24/2010
Plumber: Plumbing Pro, Plumber replied 7 years ago
Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to Answer your question to the best of my professional ability. It is good that you turned the power off to the unit, if the water level drops inside the tank with the power on , then the heating elements will burn out and need replacement . A hot water tanks life span is only from 6-9 years . If the tank is self is leaking then there is no fixing it , once the minerals from the water rust a hole threw the tank then there is no fixing it only replacing the tank, In the case its the pipe that is leaking then the pipe can be repaired by a local plumber . If you turn the cold water feed valve off going to the tank you can get the leak to stop until further action can be taken, if you can wait until Monday , then you wont be charged holiday wages and you can save some money, in the case you cant wait then you will be paying for a expensive service call on a holiday like today. Good luck and thank you for choosing Just Answer, happy holidays.
Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber