Mark
Mark, Union Plumber
Experience:  32 Years Experience in Commercial, Hi-Rise, Residential Construction, 4 years Project Management
48714917

depth of water line from meter to house Allowable pipe materials

depth of water line from meter to house? Allowable pipe materials ?
Chat Conversation Started
Mark :

Polyethylene (black pipe, comes in rolls), Type L copper (unless under a slab then it must be Type K) or Schedule 40 PVC are acceptable. Minimum bury depth is 18" from meter to house (this applies in Sacramento, San Jose, and Santa Cruz so I assume Contra Costa also). The "administrative authority" has the final say but I'm 99% sure this is good in Contra Costa. Schedule 40 PVC would be my first choice. Mark

JACUSTOMER-sjck7rp0- :

read someplace that usually the min is 3 feet

Mark :

At what elevation do you live?

JACUSTOMER-sjck7rp0- :

how would I verify for contr costa.....the diggers are coming tomorrow am and need to tell them. elevation is bout 200 feet..and about 20 feet higher than street level

JACUSTOMER-sjck7rp0- :

does the rolled poly use clasp/bands the tighten/ or something like that to connect segments? The pressure coming into the house is high enough that there is a pressure regulator..

JACUSTOMER-sjck7rp0- :

are we still together on all this?

Mark :

Then 18" is fine. At higher elevations they'll go deeper for freezing reasons, not at lower elevations. The Uniform Plumbing Code requires an 18" minimum bury depth but there is a clause that the "administrative authority" has the final say. Call your local plumbing inspection office first thing in the morning to verify. The polyethylene uses either fusion or compression joints that's why I recommend PVC because it can be glued.

JACUSTOMER-sjck7rp0- :

office not open on sat...screwed up.

JACUSTOMER-sjck7rp0- :

any source online you could check? I could not find anything, but probably did not know where/how to search

Mark :

Oops, forgot tomorrow is Sat. I could probably call a colleague in the morning and maybe verify for you if he's available. It'll be early in the morning, around 7:00 AM.

JACUSTOMER-sjck7rp0- :

would you just e-mail me the answer? that would be great.

JACUSTOMER-sjck7rp0- :

final....usually is a permit required for a replacement line?

Mark :

Unfortunately, I was turned in by another expert for a fax #. I'll post it here as soon as I verify.

Mark :

Mark

Mark :

Yes, a permit is usually required.

JACUSTOMER-sjck7rp0- :

Been a great help..how do I vote yes/great/ for your help? how can I find your answer in the am?

JACUSTOMER-sjck7rp0- :

or maybe i should ask...when do you expect to have an answer and how do i get it....new to all this.

Mark :

Go ahead and hit the accept button, leave positive feedback, and I won't close the question and post your answer. Which city in Contra Costa to so I can be specific when I ask the question?

JACUSTOMER-sjck7rp0- :

danville

Mark :

I should have it to you first thing By 8:00 AM at the latest posted to this site. I have friends that built a round house in Danville 30 years ago. Nice place...

JACUSTOMER-sjck7rp0- :

Great....I just log in in am....refer to my numbers and get back to this posting?

Mark :

You got it!

JACUSTOMER-sjck7rp0- :

ok.....thanks a lot. wish i was smart enough to be an expert on something...seems like fun to help folks that dont know what the hell they are doing!!! night

Spoke with my colleague:

California Plumbing Code 2007 Edition (news to me):

Section 609.1 states: Minimum cover shall be 12" below finish grade or minimum 12" below the local frost depth. So, 18" below finish grade will be fine and I know on occasion, you get frost in Danville (rarely). Check out the website and maybe you could be an expert in another field. There you go! Next thing you know it'll be 6 " below finish grade....