Pitsch Plumbing
Pitsch Plumbing, State Certified Plumbing Contractor
Experience:  25 years in the trade. new Construction, remodeling, repairs ect. Business owner. 2nd gen plumber
39094895

replacing control valve on A.O. smith water heater FGR 50 236 existing

replacing control valve on A.O. smith water heater FGR 50 236
existing valve: part# XXXXX (new # XXXXX A= 2 1/2", 1/2" psi, nat reg 3.5"
can I install the following slightly different valve:
part # XXXXX (new # XXXXX A= 2 5/8", 1/2" psi, nat reg 4"
Thanks,
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Pitsch Plumbing replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Pitsch Plumbing :

Hello. Give me just a minute to look up you heater.

Pitsch Plumbing :

Actually that unit came stock with a 180193-4

Pitsch Plumbing :

Anyways, yes you can, you can even go with a unitrol that has adjustable pilot. But to answer your question. Yes, it will be fine.

Pitsch Plumbing :

The A measurement is the shaft length, so 2.5 to 2 5/8 is fine

Customer:

so the 'A' dimension being 1/8" longer and the reg setting of 4" rather than 3.5" is OK?

Pitsch Plumbing :

Yeah, the burner tray might sit 1/16 of an inch out, but you also have to understand, that length also depends on how tight the valve is scrweed in too.

Pitsch Plumbing :

The pilot tube and therocouple are soft tube

Pitsch Plumbing :

1/16 of an inch from where it previously was is what im meant to say

Pitsch Plumbing :

We are a warranty station for A.O Smith and have never had an issue replacing old gas valves with new ones

Customer:

does that make sense regarding it being the problem. that is, pilot stays on until temp setting is set to high?

Pitsch Plumbing :

Yes, if its not turing off at the set temp, the therostat has failed.

Pitsch Plumbing :

What the part is called is a combination gas valve ( its the valve and t-stat) in one unit.

Pitsch Plumbing :

or are you saying that when you turn up the temp instead of heating the pilot just goes out.

Customer:

when installing, can i use teflon tape or do i need plumber's paste?

Pitsch Plumbing :

teflon tape is fine, i believe they come with teflon tape already on them. I would also replace the thermocouple while you have it apart.

Customer:

No, when i set the temp to high, the pilot and burner stays on but once the water reaches temp, then when burner shuts down, so does pilot. Pilot works fine when i lower temp to about med high.

Pitsch Plumbing :

Yeah, sounds like the t-stat is failing. When the heater is set to high the water temp should be absolutely scalding hot. 150+ deg. after a while they can go out of range.

Pitsch Plumbing :

Soundslike its thinking its too hot and turning off

Customer:

i am using a valve from a friends relatively new water heater that had a tank problem leak. should i worry that the tank failed because the valve let the water get too hot/pressurized?

Pitsch Plumbing :

is the gas line flexible tube, like copper (supply connected to heater) or hard pipe. ? I wouldnt worry, if that water gets to hot, the T&P should open.

Pitsch Plumbing :

On your friends heater,

Pitsch Plumbing :

Generally, a bad gas valve wont cause a tank to fail

Customer:

flexible copper

Pitsch Plumbing :

ok, then you will be fine, the reason i asked is the new gas valve isnt as wide as the old one so the gas connection is about a 1/2" away from where the old one was, with flexible tube, thats nothing, but with hard pipe it can be a pain

Customer:

Oops, yah it is a hard pipe. Just measured, probably less than 1/4" difference.OK, thanks. XXXXX can get a few more years out of my unit. Can't afford new one now.

Pitsch Plumbing :

Good luck, you should be just fine

Pitsch Plumbing :

If you are satisfied with my answer, please hit accept. :)