Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My toilet appears to be leaking at the inlet near the wall…

My toilet appears to be...
My toilet appears to be leaking at the inlet near the wall where the shut off valve resides. What can I do if anything if I only turn off the value to the toilet, but leave the water main on?
6/29/2010
mrplumbr
mrplumbr, Plumber
does the valve have a nut where it is leaking

yes

So, the nut appears to be part of the stop valve, not the supply tube. I would be capable of replacing the supply tube, but I believe it's part of the stop valve assembly. Any idea how much it would cost to get someone to come out and replace it?
in pa it would cost around 85$ but chances are its a compression valve that you can tighten yourrself just hold the valve with one wrench and turn the nut closet to the wall counter clockwise with anothet
mrplumbr
mrplumbr, Plumber
My wrenching was less than ideal, such that I actually turned the hose out of upright, causing leakage from the supply hose itself. Black water came out. I returned the nut to its original position and closed the gap in the hose where it had been leaking. When I reopened the valve, there was no discernable leak. I put a dry towel under it and will check it later. Thanks for the suggestion!