Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

i have had this happen otwice now, my tub clogged, and i pulled…

Customer Question
i have had this happen...
i have had this happen otwice now, my tub clogged, and i pulled the stopper from the over flow>>> but nothing happened, so i used liquid plumber... nothing, so i snaked it to no avail.... 2 hrs and $40 later i tripped some kind of latch with a broken plastic hanger and it drained.... while showering about a week or two later, i heard the latch move, same thing has happened again, but the same technic is not working, and this time it seems there is flow from the overflow back up into the tub through the drain, has the "latch" fallen into the pipes? is there an easy fix? i have to bucket out my tub to shower...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Plumbing
6/29/2010
Plumber: Patrick, General Contractor replied 8 years ago
Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
Does your tub have a toggle below the spout? Like a lever? It would typically be tied into the overflow.

Edited by Patrick on 6/29/2010 at 1:31 AM EST
it did, i already removed it and pulled the assembly out, it has been removed since the first incident.
So you are sure that the stopper has been removed from the overflow tube?
yes, i have it
From your first description it sounds like there is a stopper that has fallen from the overflow and is blocking the drain. Remove the overflow cover and if there is a linkage still connected, gently lift it up and out. The end of the linkage should have cylinder stoppper on it. If not. get a wire coat hanger and straighten it out after cutting off the hook portion and then bend a small hook on the end of it with a pair of pliers. Fish this hook down and try to grab the stopper and pull it back up out of the overflow tube. If you can get it out you should be back in business. Good luck.