Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Good Afternoon. I just left my friends cabin after a weekend…

Customer Question
Good Afternoon. I just...
Good Afternoon. I just left my friends cabin after a weekend of no hot water. They have an electric hot water heater with 2 valves connected for the incoming and outgoing supply is what I can gather. Directly behind the 2 valves is a 3rd valve which appears to be a drain valve because every time they turned it water starting coming out of a pipe outside the basement. The only other valve is the water main. We can't get any hot water pressure to the house even when the 2 supply valves are turned on at the water heater. We do have water coming from the cold supply line into the house. We are stumped... Help!!

Thanks for your time,

Glenn
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Plumbing
6/28/2010
Plumber: Patrick, General Contractor replied 8 years ago
Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
Was the hot water heater drained down when you got there? Was the electric water heater turned on?

Hi Patrick

The water heater was not drained down when we got there. I believe another person used the cabin just a couple of weeks ago. We did switch the breaker on when we tried to get the hot water to go. Does it need to be on for the water to flow through the system?

Thanks,

G

No. But you do need to make sure that the thermostat was set to a temperature that would heat the water when the power is on.

I need to know why or how to get water pressure from the hot water side because there is no pressure at all coming into the house from the hot water side. checked all the valves under the sinks still nothing.

OK, give this a try. Shut the valves that supply the water heater and the one that is outgoing from the heater. Leave any drain valve alone. Now, work the two valves open and closed in order to free any obstruction or debris that may be blocking the valve. Be sure to fully open the valves. Leave a sink ot tub valve turned on hot to allow the line to flush. If you are getting flow and the heater is working it should be hot. If you are not getting good flow there may be a clog, particularly if the pipe is galvanized.

Edited by Patrick on 6/28/2010 at 11:59 PM EST