Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

We have remodelled our bathroom and an independent contractor…

Customer Question
We have remodelled our bathroom...
We have remodelled our bathroom and an independent contractor has installed a whirlpool tub. We have serious concerns about the installation. We are especially concerned about the 1" mortar bed and also the waterproofing of the tub walls.
During the installation, I never saw any concrete or mortar mixing at any time prior to or on the day of the tub installation. Subsequently, I went on line and retrieved the manufacturers's instuctions for installation which clearly states the tub must be set in slow drying mortar. (The contractor has failed to provide me with the manufacturer's brochure for usage and for installartion even after multiple requests for this info.)
I also have serious concerns about their method of waterproofing the shower walls. No paper was used and the tile helper told me he silliconed the joints and screw holes in the hardebacker. The supervisor told me a different story. He said he used Red Guard to form a bladder.I have been present virtually every day and did not see any such application.
How should I proceed? I don't mind challenging them and asking for proof. What are my options if their answer is unsatisfactory?1

*****I believe i submitted a misspelled email address*********************

The correct one [email protected]******
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Plumbing
6/28/2010
Plumber: Patrick, General Contractor replied 8 years ago
Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
Check if there is any access to the tub drain and see if you can verify that the tub was set in a mortar bed. Ask for the installation instructions for the Hardiebacker board. Silicone on the joints and screws is incorrect. If he used Red Guard ask where it was placed. Is it behind the concrete board? If so, have a back section of drywall cut out to prove it. Ask for the installation instructions from the manufacturer and stick with them. If he will not then you need to withhold payment until he can prove it. If you need to, get the owner of the company involved. They should be able to verify what they have done with visual inspection. Good Luck. If this has proved helpful please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.
Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
Thank you,you have confirmed what i need to do.
Good luck. Make them comply with manufacturers installation instructions.