Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

We have air in the hot water line. The only room affected is…

Customer Question
We have air in the...
We have air in the hot water line. The only room affected is the master bath two sinks and shower. The tub is fine and the bathroom next door works fine. Have shut off water
and drained pipes numerous times but no pressure on hot water only. Cold is fine.
this problem started a week and a half ago and we got the pressue up on the week end. Had hot water all week and then sat. a.m. no hot water in the two sinks and shower.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/28/2010
Plumber: SF Plumber, Plumbing Contractor replied 8 years ago
SF Plumber
SF Plumber, Plumbing Contractor
Chat Conversation Started
SF Plumber :

Are you getting air out of the hot taps or nothing at all?

Customer:

A little air each time.

SF Plumber :

a little air but then the water pressure is normal?

Customer:

No. Stays very low.

SF Plumber :

Is there a separate shut off valve for the hot water to this bathroom?

Customer:

There is one foe each sink. Not for the shower.

SF Plumber :

Can you try removing one of the aerators on the sink faucet tio see if there is more flow with the aerator removewd

Customer:

Have done this. no sediment in either sink

SF Plumber :

It is hard to come up with a reasonable explanation since all the plumbing is most likely coming from the same feed, and you write that your tub works well but you have a low flow in the other fixtures. the next step would be to take off the hot flexible connector to one of the faucets and when directed into a bucket open the angle stop to see if the flow is normal

Customer:

Will try. took the wall faucet off and there was no obstruction seen. For more info the bath is on the second floor and the hot water tank is on he first floor in the garage. Why did it correct for 5 days and start again.

Customer:

Talk me thru draining the water pipes so i am doing it correctly.

SF Plumber :

Hi, It seems that the chat got "stuck:" it looke like you were typing for a lllooonnng time.

SF Plumber :

The best way to drain the house down ids to turn off the valve for the incoming water and then open all faucets, by the time you open the last one you can start closing them back up again.

SF Plumber :

If all the pipes are tied together at the second floor levae (and they probably are) then you may have a nasty obstruction somewhere in the hot pipes. One way to try to blow these out is to turn off the valve at the water heater and open the T&P valve to drain it partially, then open a faucet at "lukewarm" while blocking the spout so thet the water will run through the faucet from the cold side to the hot side and hopefuly blow out any obstruction there is

Customer:

It is late. Will try tomorow. Can I get back in touch with you?

Customer:

What is t&p valve?

SF Plumber :

It is the pressute relief valve, Any way to relief the pressure on the hot side only works so that there is a place for the water to go when you try blowing it out.

SF Plumber :

I meant to write will work , haven't had my morning cofee yet