Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My model A Symonds tub -shower valve was damaged by freezing.

water is leaking out of...
My model A Symonds tub -shower valve was damaged by freezing. water is leaking out of the diverter valve .
6/27/2010
Pitsch Plumbing
Pitsch Plumbing, State Certified Plumbing Contractor
generally from my experience, when a valve freezes, its the body of the valve that ends up splitting. Could you tell where it was leaking from, or was it just leaking in the wall? Did it have integral stops. Im asking about the stops because maybe the plumbing going to the valve is leaking. The Symmons are pretty simple. Are you able to see the entire valve?

Edited by Pitsch Plumbing on 6/27/2010 at 11:22 PM EST
its an exposed outside shower so everything is visible including the 1/2" supply pipes shower head etc. after i removed all the parts I could i put the water back on and the water was only shooting out of the hole where the diverter spindle goes. the heavy bronze body of the valve appears intact. can I further disasemble the diverter valve ( how?) with the hope of replacing any broken parts ?
Ok, so it froze and the water wouldnt turn off, and its not leaking out of the valve body. If thats the case, you can replace the stem and spindle first. They make a seat removal tool which is relatively cheap. It removes the hot and cold seats from the valve body. Those can be removed then you can look into the valve and see if there is any damage
Pitsch Plumbing

Ok Thansk - so its not the temperature control valve that is leaking . the water is coming out of the diverter hole. Ill go to my plumbimg supply house and ask for a seat removal tool and see what I can expose inside the valve body . Thanks for your help

here is a link that might help you. The diverter has its own stem on most valves

http://www.symmons.com/~/media/Files/Installation%20PDFs/temptrol_ins.ashx