Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Oil-fired water heater not working........only since 2 day…

Customer Question
Oil-fired water heater not working........only...
Oil-fired water heater not working........only since 2 day power outage....and electric now back.
"Locked Out" red light is lit.
'Will not re-set
Burner Control was replaced in April.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2010
Plumber: Rightway Plumbing, Plumber replied 8 years ago
Rightway Plumbing
Try disconnecting the power for a min or two. That will reset the controller.
Is this the Emergency Switch to "shut off" or the
Main Control Circuit Breaker?
Main Control Circuit Breaker?

We just tried what you said. We shut off Emergency and waited...then
shut off the main circuit breaker for water heater; but still no start-up!
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 8 years ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Hi

You need to press and hold the reset button on the burner control for at least 30 seconds the LED should blink then release the button and the burner should start. If it doesn't then the control was probably damaged in the outage.
I held the reset button for 40 seconds; and released; but nothing
happening!
How does the control get damaged in this way? does that mean I have to worry all the time power goes out? How can this be prevented?
This is a Bock 32E water heater installed in August, 2007.
Then in April of this year, had to have the Carlin burner control
replaced. Did I get a Lemon, or what?
My 30 yr. Old water heater, until the end of its life, Never gave me any trouble!!
Given all the electronic equipment we have today, including your burner control, it's a good ides to have a surge & lightning suppressor installed on the circuit panel. Any time there is a power outage or a lightning storm there is a significant risk of a power surge.

I didn't realize you had a Carlin Burner. The instructions I gave were for a honeywell control. If you remove the control (the 4 screws one in each corner) and turn the control over there should be instructions on how to reset the control. I don't remember off hand what the sequence is.
I just found the cut sheet for the Carlin control.

You need to:

Push and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds. The amber and red LED's should start flashing. Continue to hold for about another 20 seconds until the LED's turn off Then release the reset button. Releasing the button before the LED's go out will re-lock the control
Well, Monday morning; and I am waiting for the plumber to arrive,
so he can fix the water heater problem.
I appreciate your trying to help; but unfortunately it did not work.,
so I am unable to accept answer.
I know this is a business like any other; but I could only agree to\
a small donation for your trouble. (of my choosing), as I still will be stuck with
paying the plumber today.
Thanks.
Thanks for trying Just Answer