Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Installing new disposal. Have old unit out except for sink…

Customer Question
Installing new disposal. Have...
Installing new disposal. Have old unit out except for sink flange. I have removed as much plummers putty as I can scrape off and still cannot budge the flange. This is in a stainless sink.

How can I get the old flange out without damage to the sink itself.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Plumbing
6/26/2010
Plumber: SF Plumber, Plumbing Contractor replied 8 years ago
SF Plumber
SF Plumber, Plumbing Contractor
Chat Conversation Started
SF Plumber :

Hi, did you get my reply? the site seems to have some problems this morning and is behaving weird on my end

Customer:

No, I have not yet seen your reply unless it's in my email which I cannot view until I get out of this site

SF Plumber :

OK, the way I usually get this stuff of is with a screwdriver, using it as a small chisel. If you are careful to only scrape the csection with the old putty then the new flange will cover the scrapes

Customer:

Your answer seems to be focused on (how to remove excess putty from around the sink hole before installation of the (new) sink flange.

SF Plumber :

I apologize, I guess I did not read your question properly. If you hit the flange with a hammer from the underside it should come loose the putty is not a glue but does cake the parts tgether over time.

Customer:

OK, I'm gonna try that out and will see how it works.

SF Plumber :

You have taken off all the hardware so just the flange is left right?