Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I can not get the cold water to run in the bathtub. The hot…

Customer Question
I can not get the...
I can not get the cold water to run in the bathtub. The hot water is fine and the water runs fine in the other bathroom.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Plumbing
6/20/2010
Plumber: SF Plumber, Plumbing Contractor replied 8 years ago
SF Plumber
SF Plumber, Plumbing Contractor
Hi, I will try to help you fix the problem, Is this a single handle faucet?
no the hot is on the left shower in the middle and cold on the right
OK, you will need to turn the water off (are the "knobs behind the tub" shut off valves for the tub?) and then take the cold faucet stem out. Then have someone else turn the water on and see if you get water coming out of the open cold side

I know how to get the basic knob off but how do you get the stem off?

I don't know what faucet you have but generally you take the handle off, then unscrew the escutcheon and you will probably find a large nut or something that looks like a nut that is the end of the stem. unscrew this and the stem should come out.

I cant get the "sleeve" off. I took the knob off, it was held in with a screw but the silver part wont come off. I put the screw driver behind it and tried to pop it off but wont budge.

If I could get to a home depot i would but I dont have a car at the moment. Is there something blocking it, I am just so confused as to why it wont work. There is only one pipe coming up the back of the tub or at least what I can see and the hot water works great and the cold water just barely comes out.

These either unscrew (counter clockwise) or they have a small decorative nut at the narrow end holding it down. If you don't see anything that looks like it could be screwed on the end try turning the whole thing. If it still doesn't go you may want to take a picture and post it here so that I can see what you are dealing with.

Mind you if this has been in place for years it may not come apart that easy!
graphic
I got the silver thing off --this is what I have left
Ok, I'm sorry I was gone for a while. You're almost there! what you do is put a wrench on the nut-like thing and loosen it all the way, you can then unscrew the whole stem. almost by hand.