Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

i have noticed some vent pipe flashing on roofs and I notice…

Customer Question
i have noticed some vent...
i have noticed some vent pipe flashing on roofs and I notice they are only about half way down the pipe, is this a new code for El Paso, Texas
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Plumbing
6/19/2010
Plumber: Patrick, General Contractor replied 8 years ago
Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
You may be observing a plastic roof flashing that sets on the roof and then runs up the pipe penetration and is pressure fit around the pipe and caulked or clamped. This is different in appearance from lead flashings that run from the top of the pipe back to the roof. These plastic flashings are approved. Good luck. If this has proved helpful please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.
The pipe has a regular boot flashing, but above it, there seems to bee a galvanized flashing about half way down. Almost as if they are using it to guide water away from the pipe. But like I said, there is a flashing boot already attached to the roof. Is this a new "double flashing" and I am wondering if this is code here in El Paso. Tx?
Copy and paste the following into your address bar and see if there is anything that identifies what you are seeing. I am not familiar with a secondary, partial flashing on pipe penetrations. I wonder if it is only over PVC pipe penetrations? http://www.bestmaterials.com/penetration_seals.aspx