Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

ive dug down 3 to 4 feet in my yard to look at why my main…

Customer Question
ive dug down 3 to...
ive dug down 3 to 4 feet in my yard to look at why my main water shut off dosent work . doeos the protection tube come off.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Plumbing
6/17/2010
Plumber: Rightway Plumbing, Plumber replied 8 years ago
Rightway Plumbing
What do you mean by pertection tube?
pretection tube around actual shut off in the ground

If you are referring to the curb stop valve, those are usually one piece. They have an inlet and outlet and the shut off through it. You usually cannot take that box apart as it is all one piece. Unless you see bolts around the box for disassembly, it is most likely not able to be taken out. Usually they just replace the whole box when it doesn't work.

what about the tube itself so i can try to lubricate the shut off

The tube should be able to come off depending on how it attaches. Usually it just bolts into the top of the box. Is this a city main? Usually your local water department is responsible for the curb stop valve. I would have them take care of it because it is difficult to shut the water off if the curb stop is broken. If you are trying to shut it off and it won't go, keep in mind some curb stops only shut one way. I wouldn't try and force it if it breaks it is a very costly repair from the city.

Usually the water department will shut it off free of charge.

the city is the ones who told to fix it ,because when the last owners moved out they where unable to shut off water to house which happened to be last winter. so when i purchased this house all plastic pipes were broken inside .which i replaced.Is IT My responsibility to fix

The curb stop valve is the one by the street. I'm just making sure that is the one we are talking about. The meter valves would be closer to your house, those are your responsibility. If it is your water meter valve where the water enters your building or in your basement, you have to fix that. You can have the city shut the water off at the street and change the valve out. Valves by the water meter are a different type that over time, can fail and not shut of properly. The only real way to fix this is to replace the valve.

the city did change out the one in the house but told i had fix the street shut off.
Hmm that sounds like the opposite thing that should have happened. If you have to replace a curb stop, you have to shut it off at the city main. You won't be able to do this. The city would need to shut off the corporation cock(valve at main). Curb stops are a city supplied valve.

so is this my problem.i can shut off water inside my house.

I would say no. You cannot fix a curb stop by yourself. I can't believe the city would try and make you pay for a curb stop but fix your building shut off. If you can shut it off inside your house, you won't really have a problem. The city can say it's your responsibility I guess, but you would have to hire a contractor to fix this problem. I would let it ride so to speak. If they don't bring it up or give you something written saying you need it fixed, I would leave it.

It won't effect your house. If the city does make you fix it, you will have to hire a contractor to take care of that. It isn't a job for a homeowner. It is complex and you have to work with the city to get the water shut off.