Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have a 4 cast drain line under my kitchen sink that has…

Customer Question
I have a 4" cast...
I have a 4" cast drain line under my kitchen sink that has been cut off smooth to the slab (no Hub) the PVC attached to this pipe has started leaking. when I took it apart they had just stuck a 2" PVC into the cast and appeared to have just caulked it in . Is there a better way to attach the PVC
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Plumbing
6/17/2010
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 8 years ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Hi

Given that you have nothing but a bald piece of 4" cut flush to the slab caulking in a piece of pipe is your only option short of busting up the slab. If the lead joint is done properly it should be water and gas tight so the odor shouldn't be a problem. I suspect that your problem may be that the trap is siphoning out because it is not properly vented. The solution to this problem would be to install a drum trap (an anti-siphon trap) instead of a full s-trap which is probably what you have now since the pipe is coming out of the floor.