Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I need a pool guy. Two waterfalls and, sudenly, one went off…

Customer Question
I need a pool guy...
I need a pool guy. Two waterfalls and, sudenly, one went off and all is flowing across just one fall.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/11/2010
Plumber: Rightway Plumbing, Plumber replied 8 years ago
Rightway Plumbing

Are both pumps working?

Just one pump ever is on. There is a second pump fior the spa`only. At the pool there is a waterfall at one end and a waterfall curtain at the other. I never saw just one of them running without the other.
Ok then it sounds like one pump runs both. You might have a blockage in the line that feeds the waterfall that is off. If the one is running, then your pump is working and it is circulating water. For waterfalls that run constantly, there is a system that recycles water a supply and return from the pump. When the waterfall is running it supplies water via a pump. Then water pours over the falls, and goes back to the sump where the pump is held. If one pump runs both, and one is working, the only thing it could be is a blockage in the supply line of the non-functional one.

It is obvious that there is a flow block. I thought there might be a valve or diverting device that splits the flow, goes to one display first and then the other. With all the filers and screens, how can a curtain fall suddenly get blocked when it was fine earlier in the day. If it is blocked where do I start digging?

It could be plugged in a screen or filter. You should be able to see two lines. One going to each they should have screens on the lines. The screens and filters are most likely clogged. Most blockages seem to come on suddenly, but are a gradual process. The most likely places for the blockage to occur are in a screen/filter and where the water connects to the water fall. The orifices can get restricted where the water comes out for the water fall. This is the other likely place for a blockage to occur.

Drilled a tiny hole in 2 inch elbow feeding the curten falls. No water in pipe. The flow from the main filter back to the pool goes underground in a three inch plastic pipe. I'll have to call the pool builder since I don't know what else to check. There is a 10" black dome on the ground outside of the pool cage that may be part of the system. Maybe that is where the pipe to goes Stop. ............................................................................Just looked at it again and it started working and then went off again. It is the GamPool automatic valve. Clearly it is faulty.

Now you know. If you were a plumber and not really a pool guy, you should have said so. There is no catagory for pool so I tried plumber. A pool guy would have suspected this, in my opinion. No soup for you. I have used this site with great results in the past, dishwasher, micro wave.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you more but believe it or not, there is more than one type of pool system out there. Perhaps a better description would yield a better answer? It is very difficult to answer a question without a complete description of your particular filter, valve and pumping system. Or perhaps a make/model number of the design.

Experts on here cannot see through the computer to your exact setup. I am confident that with a proper description, I could have helped you through your problem. Pool systems arn't all that complicated, and I have installed/troubleshot commerical pool systems before. If there are control valves they could be malfunctioning, but you didn't mention them until your last response. Please try and remember experts on here are volunteers until they get an accepted answer. I was only trying to help, snide remarks arn't appreciated.

Edited by Rightway Plumbing on 6/11/2010 at 7:51 PM EST