Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

where do i find the water shut off valve for my outside water

Customer Question
faucet that will not shut...
where do i find the water shut off valve for my outside water faucet that will not shut off?
the fire dept shut off the water supply from the street at apx 8:am & i am just home from work for the day.
I am unable to see or get to the area because of the a/c ducts. I think if i know what i am looking for & where it should be, i'll feel more confident as to what i am doing!?
i do not have $300. for a plumber to come!
thank you very much for your assistance!
susie funchess
columbia, sc
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Plumbing
5/19/2010
Plumber: Phil, Mechanical Engineer. replied 7 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.

Hi, I can answer your question, lets handle them one at a time. Click 'accept' when you are satisfied.. or we can get another expert.

The outside water faucet, where one usually connects a hose, is supplied from the pipe inside the house... the house water shuts off elsewhere of course.

The water supply to most homes shuts off at two places... one under a plate in the sidewalk or lawn, where the water meter is.. you need to buy a water meter wrench for that, $10 at the hardware store, it also shuts off where the water pipe comes up from the ground outside your house, usually very close to an outside wall, in a flower bed.. the pipe is about an inch or so in diameter and will be wrapped with heavy black tape and the shut off valve will be right there.. easy to recognise.

Let me know if this works...consider this a partial answer until it does, do not click accept until we get a complete answer and a resolution to your question.

Edited by Phil on 5/19/2010 at 11:18 PM EST

at 8:00am, the complete water supply to the entire house was shut off at the city meter by the street by using THE WRENCH.

I want to know if there is a valve/lever under the house in the crawl space behind the brick wall where the pipe is thru the o/s wall holding the faucet on the other side of the brick . this a.m. the faucet would not shut off the water even though the on/off knob had stopped.

i want the water turned back on to the house use only without water coming out to the faucet. i will try on another day to replace the faucet, but i need water to the house for toilet, shower, drinking, etc!

does this make sense!

Plumber: Todd, Plumber replied 7 years ago
Todd
Todd, Plumber
Some homes do have shut offs to there a outside faucets. If there is one it would be on the pipe going to out side faucet, Sometimes they put them right by the wall before it exists the house or it could be anywhere on the line. What you can do until you can get it fixed this weekend, is go to a home improvement store and purchase a hose bibb cap and install it right on the end of the faucet, this will stop the water from coming out. Or you can attach a hose on the faucet and put a hand lever spray on it.

Edited by Todd on 5/20/2010 at 1:09 AM EST
Todd
Todd, Plumber
Plumber: Mario, Master Plumber replied 7 years ago
Mario
Mario, Master Plumber

the water shut off is usualy at the front wall of the building with a valve if it is a building with no basement i would check the walls that face the street there should be an access door or a bump out where the line is

with some homes without a basement the main valve can bee in the guarage eithewr in a pit in the floor or in the middle in the boiler room another popular spot is under the kitchen sink

in homes with basements they are usualy at the front wall of the basement and in sone areas ther is a valve in the meter pit in the front yard

one other popular location is under the stair case

good luck

Thank you for using Just Answer.
Todd
Todd
Todd, Plumber