How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rightway Plumbing Your Own Question
Rightway Plumbing
Rightway Plumbing, Plumber
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 228
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber, Owner Right Way Plumbing LLC. 7+ years exp.
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Rightway Plumbing is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

toilet wont flush but keeps filling and overflowing into the

This answer was rated:

toilet wont flush but keeps filling and overflowing into the basin.I cant lift the lid as usual.
something seems to be attached.the push button is round with a square insert .I hope you can advise .
Many thanks XXXXX

You mean you cannot take the lid off the toilet tank?


Also by overflowing into the basin, do you mean it is draining but the toilet keeps running? Not overflowing onto the floor?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes the lid seems to attached to something inside.

It is draining but the toilet keeps running.NOT ONTO THE FLOOR.

Does the toilet flusher the handle that flushes the toilet go through the tank lid? If it does and it isn't on the side of the tank, the chain would be attached to the toilet tank lid.


If the handle is on the side of the tank there shouldn't be anything attaching itself to the lid. Can you lift it a little and see a chain attached to it. The reason the toilet may be running could be a few different things, the flapper might not be sealed completely, The fill valve may not be shutting off all the way or water level set too high and overflowing into the fill tube. My recommendation to solve the problem once you get the lid off will be to replace toilet fill valve, Fluidmaster is my recommendation for a replacement, and perhaps replace the flapper or ball. Both parts can be found at your local hardware store or big home improvement store, Home depot ect.


If you are satisfied with this answer please click accept, as it is the only way I can get credit. If you arn't I would be happy to answer any more questions you may have.

Rightway Plumbing and other Plumbing Specialists are ready to help you