Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

What are the steps in using compressed air to blow out plumbing

Customer Question
lines during the winterization process?...
What are the steps in using compressed air to blow out plumbing lines during the winterization process?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Plumbing
1/13/2010
Plumber: Patrick, General Contractor replied 8 years ago
Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
If you are attempting to clear the hot and cold supply piping in the house you basically need to shut off the incoming water supply to the house. Actually shutting off the water at the meter is better if you are leaving for an extended time in case the supply line froze and the domestic shut off valve failed and leaked. Once the water is shut off you need to turn off the gas and/or electricity to the hot water heater and then drain the hot water heater. You should open the faucets, hose bibs, tub valves, etc... in order to drain water from the pipes. This applies to both hot and cold. If you have a hose bib where your domestic shut off valve is you can blow compressed air into the line at this point to blow air through the system to clear the line of water. Once done you can go to a faucet at the far end of the hot water line and shut the cold valve and blow air back through the spout to push any water out of the hot water piping. Do not overdo it. Most of the water will have drained from the system when you open it. This addresses the hot and cold water. Do not forget the sewer drains. You should drain the toilet tank and the bowl and sponge out any remaining water. Pour residential antifreeze into the tank to keep the flapper from drying out. Fill the toilet bowl with residential antifreeze to seal the toilet trap and keep sewer gas from backing up. Pour residential antifreeze into all sink traps, floor drains, shower drains, etc... to replace water that could freeze and to seal the trap against sewer gas. That is pretty much it. Good luck. If this has proved helpful, please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.
Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
what are the winterization processes for the refrigerator, washing machine and the dishwasher?
I am not as familiar but my experience with a refrigerator is to empty everything out, clean it and turn off the water supply valve to the icemaker if you have one, turn off the refrigerator and leave the door open. There is water in the hoses to the washing machine that you can disconnect and drain. There may be water left in the bottom of the tub but I am not familiar how to remove that. Perhaps some of the residential antifreeze. Be sure to flush it when you start everything back up. Do not forget to add residential antifreeze to the drain trap for the clothes washer. Dishwasher has water in the hose supply. You could pull it and allow the hose to drain. Might be worth you contacting appliances to get any further specifics.
Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
Patrick
Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor