Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

We have a State scout 40 gallon hot water heater. Quit working

Customer Question
We have a State scout...
We have a State scout 40 gallon hot water heater. Quit working a few days ago. ECO was tripped. We changed out thermostat and element. Still no hot water. Power supply is good and it is wired correctly. What else can we check?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Plumbing
12/19/2009
Plumber: Todd, Plumber replied 7 years ago
Todd
Todd, Plumber
Double element and thermosts?
Single
Did you fill the heater completly up with water and bleed all the air out before turning power on?
Yes
Do have a volt tester
Yes, we have already tested voltage and ohms. All good!
You do have 240 volts to element with power on?
only 122
Is this a 240 or 120 heater? It will tell you on the front of the heater

Edited by Todd on 12/19/2009 at 5:02 AM EST
240
Ok is the computer by the water heater or close
Somewhat
The first thing to do is go to the top of the thermostat and check voltage , top two wires. And let know what it is
122 both sides

put one side of your tester one side of the thermostat and the otherside of your tester on the other side of thermostat, do not go to ground

o ac
Turn power off, take the top 2 wires off thermostat, turn power back on and recheck with wires off thermo

Edited by Todd on 12/19/2009 at 5:23 AM EST
Touching both wires it registers 70 ac
Do you see where the power comes into the heater? If so take the cover off and make sure the wires are connect good. We are not getting 240 volts to the heater.

Edited by Todd on 12/19/2009 at 5:31 AM EST
Testing two wires going into heater only registers 70 ac
Can you get your breaker box panel off fairly easy? If so, go to the breaker take the wires off breaker and test the breaker. One side of your tester on one side of the breaker and the other side of the tester on the other side of the breaker.

Edited by Todd on 12/19/2009 at 5:42 AM EST
Make sure you shut off breaker before taking the wires off the breaker.
You also could leave the wires on the breaker and check each side of the breaker to ground.
243 ac going into the breaker

The problem is the wire from your fuse box to the water heater is bad. You have 240 at breaker and you do not have 240 at heater, with power being disconnected at heater.

Could it be the breakers? or is it just the wire? I didn't know the wires could go BAD.

If you have the wires disconnected at the breaker, and breaker on, with around 240volts coming out of the breaker . The breaker is good. You are sending 240 out of the breaker it just not 240 volts at the heater. Is the water heater grouned? Do you live in .a house or trailer

Mobile Home
I have seen mice eat through the wires. If the water heater is not grounded I have seen when a element burns out it also has burnt the wires.
Thank you! We will try to replace the wire tomorrow.
Make sure you have a ground. I will leave this question open so if you have any other question on this matter feel free to ask. Have a great hoilday
Todd
Todd, Plumber
Todd
Todd
Todd, Plumber