Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

Utica boiler is not working, there is no heat.

Customer Question
Utica boiler is not working...

Utica boiler is not working, there is no heat. I think something is wrong with my thermostat.

What is wrong and how to rectify? Need step by step instructions.

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Plumbing
10/17/2009
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 8 years ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Is it oil or gas?

Is it hot water (how many zones), tankless hot water coil or steam?

Utica boiler model mgb75. It is a gas, hot water heater and it wont ignite.

Maybe something wrong with my thermostat because my furnace is also without flame on the pilot.

Is it electric ignition or a standing pilot?

How can i find out?

Is there an electrode (with wire attached) on your pilot or does it look something like this
Boiler electrode with wire attached
With no electrode just the thermocouple

i beleive there is an electrode. there is only the honeywell on and off nob. it has burners bot no buttons of reset or ignite.

Turn the power off then the thermostat up then turn the power back on to the boiler. Tell me if you get an arc at the pilot. Also be sure any emergency switch is on.

didnt get any arc. the boiler dosent have any on and off button unless u taking about the on and of nob on the honeywell?

There must be a service switch. If you have a poor install maybe you don't have one. It should be on the conduit or cable that feeds the boiler. You could also turn the breaker off.

The only switch there is with a red face plate saying gas burner emergency switch, is that what you mean?

Yes

okay. can u guide me to fix the problem?

Do you get an arc at the pilot when you turn the power off then back on a few minutes later?

no

The first thing to do is jump the thermostat terminals where the thermostat wire connects to the operating control.

u mean switch them around but keep the ground in its place.or place mv with pv?

That is the ignition control not the operating control. I have to opt out. Sorry I couldn't get this resolved for you

Rick
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor