Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
Experience:  30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects
16029536

I have a sewer clean out in my front yard that sticks up about

I have a sewer clean out in my front yard that sticks up about a foot. I want to cut it off at ground level. Can I use a PVC cap for this (is PVC ok outside). The pipe is white with a black cap fitting, but it does not feel like PVC. If it is not pvc what is it and what type of cap should I use.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Patrick replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you can dig around the clean out and cut the PVC pipe off level with the ground and prepare the pipe by cleaning it then using PVC primer and solvent glue to install a PVC fitting with a PVC screw in cap. Use schedule 4O PVC. When installed, it should be flush with the ground so that your lawn equipment does not damage it. Good luck. If this has proven helpful, please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwis I do not receive credit. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How do I know if it is schedule 40 PVC? Here are a couple pics of the clean out ant the cap I bought will This work?

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/Customer/pipe1.jpg

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/Customer/pipe2.jpg

Expert:  Patrick replied 7 years ago.
Good photos. Most of the fittings you get should have it stamped or impressed upon the piece indicating it is 40. Pipe has it lebeled on the outside. The part you have on the table more than likely is schedule 40. When you cut off the black section at the white pipe, take a measuement of the diameter of the pipe or check that the new section you have will fit on the pipe you are cutting off. Also, take a measurement from the bottom of your new piece inside it to where the pipe will stop at the shoulder. This will allow you to figure how much to cut down to in order to make your new cap level with the ground. Good luck. If this has proven helpful, please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok thanks a lot!
Expert:  Patrick replied 7 years ago.
Good luck with your project. When you prep the old pipe be sure to clean off any dirt or mud and dry it before priming and solvent glueing.