Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I need to replace a tub drain. The cross pieces are broken

I need to replace a tub drain. The cross pieces are broken out, so I can't use a drain wrench or plug wrench to remove the old drain. What is the solution? What can I do to remove this drain? Is there a special tool that will grab without the cross piece?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Billy replied 7 years ago.
do you have access from the side? Meaning could you reach it it with an oil filter wrench?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, it is completely enclosed on all sides.
Expert:  Billy replied 7 years ago.
Ok first are you referring to removing the top portion of the drain on the tub surface where the water drains into
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. It was a pull turn type drain stopper which broke. I bought a replacement drain of similar design but as you know I can't get the old one out. All that remains is the outer ring which is flush with the tub surface and the treaded portion screwed into the pvc pipe below the tub which I can't get to.
Expert:  Billy replied 7 years ago.
You may be able to create a wedge from wood that is tapered that when driven in drain compresses and the attempt to turn out. I did this once and had to wrap the wedge in sandpaper to get a good grip.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'll try it.
Expert:  Billy replied 7 years ago.
No charge for the advice since I cannot give you a proper answer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Billy
Expert:  Billy replied 7 years ago.
you are welcome and I wish you luck
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
Hi Customerbr />Here is one type of expandable internal drain wrench

http://www.accentshopping.com/category.asp/CAT_ID/211/TYPE_ID/294/MFR_ID/0

There are several other types. If you want to try locally call a plumbing supply house and ask for an internal expanding drain wrench.

If the drain is really on tight often the only optionis to cut it out with a hammer and cold chisel. You can also try turning the drain by using a hammer and cold chisel on the upper inside of the drain ring (on a tangent to the circumference of the circle) driving the chisel so as to turn the ring with the force of the chisel.
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.