Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

My kitchen faucet makes a pounding noise when I first turn

Customer Question
it on. The noise will...
My kitchen faucet makes a pounding noise when I first turn it on. The noise will go away if i turn the water off and on several times or if I just let it run. How do I correct this problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Plumbing
3/22/2009
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 8 years ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Hi Pumbing problem
The situation you describe is typically caused by a loose washer. If your faucet is the washer type the loose washer is probably in your faucet. If it's not a washer type faucet the loose washer is probably in the shut off(s) under your sink that go to your faucet.

Rick,

The faucet is washerless. Do I need to replace both shut offs because it does happen with hot and cold?

If it is happening with both hot and cold it is unlikely that both shut offs have loose washers. If the faucet has a separate rinse hose then it could be the diverter for the hose.

Rick,

We do not have a rinse hose with that faucet.

What brand and type (single lever, 2 handles, pullout spray) of faucet do you have?
Kohler, with single lever
I can't come up with anything else given how you've described the problem. I'm going to opt out and give another expert a crack at this.
Thanks Rick
Plumber: Patrick, General Contractor replied 8 years ago
Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
You may be suffering from water hammer. If you have not had it until now you may be able to remedy it by doing the following to allow your water arrestors to recharge. In some residences, pipes rise above the tee in order to trap air so that water does not "hammer" when turned on or off. Try turning off the water at the valve into your house. Open the hose bibbs, sink, bath and shower faucets and allow the cold water to drain out. Once drained, turn off the faucets and hose bibbs and turn the water supply valve back on. Start at the closest faucet to the water supply valve and turn them on throughout the house moving from closest to farthest. Air should sputter from each as you go. When you have all of the cold water running, air should be trapped in any arrestor pipes. Turn off the all faucets. Air should now be trapped in the arrestor pipes, softening the noise when water is turned off. If you do not have riser type arrestor pipes you may have cartridge type water arrestors. These are typically in the wall and are hard to get access to. The riser type water arrestor pipes can typically be seen in the attic running straight up 12" to 18" above the pipe tee dropping down the wall to your tub or near the end of your lines. Good luck. Also, you will probably need to do the same thing with the hot water side if you are experiencing the same problem there.

If this answer helps, please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not get credit. Thank you.

Rick,

Water hammer was the first thing I thought it was. I did do that process with both hot and cold before I contacted you, but still no change.

Plumber: Bud, Plumber replied 8 years ago
Bud
Bud, Plumber

Bud,

I have a 1/2 bath (toilet and sink) on the same level and about 45 feet from the kitchen faucet.

What about above? I have experianced a similar/same problem with a faucet dropping the pressure just enough to cause the toilet fill valve to "hammer", meaning rapid on and off, which could be described and pounding noise. Try turning off the stop valve under each toilet, then try the kitchen faucet. You may find this to be the problem, you may not.

Bud

Thanks for the responce's guys.

However, I only have the noise at the kitchen faucet, not the dishwasher right next to the faucet or the ice maker 15 feet away. The noise will happen even if the faucet is the only water source working. Pressure does seem to diminish when the pounding is happening. Also, it does not happen every time about 75% and if I turn the water off and on a few times I can get it to stop or if I let the water run it will stop within a few seconds. I have ask neighbors if they have experenced this and they have not.

Did you test the toilets? I fully understand and understood you only hear the noise at the kitchen faucet. Things will have to be tried in order to track down the problem. I assure you something in your home is causing this noise. You will have to be open to ideas to try in order to trace down the problem. The toilets may not be the problem, however if you didn't test them it still could be the problem. If you have a PRZ (Pressure Reducing Valve) that could explain the noise as well.

Please reply with any other questions about this. Together we can solve this mystery!!

Bud

Have you checked your valve cartridge? Every now and then the cartridge can get debris in it and require cleaning. Also, you may not have a hose connected to your sink but there may be a diverter in place under the faucet. My kitchen sink drove me crazy for years before I figured out the diverter was bad. I pulled the faucet spigot portion and unscrewed the diverter and replaced it and the thump thump went away. Hope this helps.

Bud I shut all three toilets off and the problem did stop for a few turn on's but it did came back with the toilets still turned off.

Pat what is a valve cartridge and where is it usually located?

The valve cartridge is found inside the part of the faucet that has the lever or turn knob on it. Depending upon the make of your faucet you typically have to remove a screw to remove the lever and then you have to remove the outer valve body, typically unscrews to access the cartridge. If you know your manufacturer, you can browse the web to get a diagram for your faucet. As for where the diverter is, you have to remove the spigot portion and look down into the opening where the spigot was removed. The diverter many times unscrews. Lift it out and check it. I replaced mine and it stopped the thumping. I hope this helps. If so, please rember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I will not be given credit. Thank you.
Patrick
Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor