Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

I installed a new Whirlpool electric water heater about 3 wks

Customer Question
ago and having air in...
I installed a new Whirlpool electric water heater about 3 wks ago and having air in the hotwater lines. We are on a home well system and the pressure is 38 - 58 psi. When I first installed it we had substancialy lower pressure on the hot side compared to the cold side so I removed the factory di-electric nipples and heat traps thinking these were causing enough restriction to lower the pressure on the hot side. This did solve the pressure problem but now have air in the hot side most of the time. I have purged the system several times which will solve the problem for just a few hours and then there is air in the hot side again. I think I am purging correctly but now do not know what to do. Do you have any suggestions? Thanking you in advance for any help you can offer. Ken
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Plumbing
3/19/2009
Plumber: repipeslo, Plumber replied 8 years ago
repipeslo
repipeslo, Plumber

Suggestion on you preassure tank make sure the it the bladder hasnt been water logged.

The air problem is only in the hot water lines.....not in the cold water lines.
Also this problem only started after I installed the new water heater. About 3 wks ago.
is this water heater sitting on a concrete floor?
No it has treated lumber between it and the concrete floor. As I explained before this problem started after I installed a new water heater. When the new water heater was first installed the pressure on the hot water side was not like it was with the old heater (there was less water pressure on the hot side with this new heater than there was with the old one). The old water heater did not have the di-electric nipples and no heat traps as like the new one so I removed the factory installed 3/4" nipples which were di-electric and also removed the heat traps and installed 3/4" brass nipples. This solved the pressure problem but the hot watrer lines have air in them most of the time, I have purged the system several times which helps for a few hours but then the problem returns (air in the hot water lines), not having this problem in the cold water lines. Can you help ????Customer
Yes sounds like , very rare condition electricity is leaking somewhere to ground causing current to pass through the water and electrolyzing it. Like you said if you blead the system already there is no way for more air to be getting into the lines. The more hott water you run the more it electrolizes its very rare if you cant isolate the tank any better Call the manufacture and ask if they have any other complainst of the same problem. Sometimes even a bad anode can do it.

The answer you gave was incorrect.....I found the answer to my problem on another website for questions/answers which by the way was totally free.

The answer to the air in the hot water lines was due to the anode rod that came with the water heater. I have a well system and very hard water and have to use alot of salt to soften it, this is what causes the problem (Outgassing). Outgassing happens in all the new water heaters because of the anode rod which is there to protection the tank from corrision and forms some gas at the anode rod and on the walls of the tank. When the water in the tank is very hard and or when having to use alot of salt to soften it the outgassing becomes very rapid and the gas escapes as air from the facuets.The solution to this condition is to replace the anode rod with one that is used up more slowly which will produce the gas at a much slower rate, reducing the air in the hot water lines. I replaced my anode rod with a magnesium anode rod from Rheem, this rod also has a resistor in the top of it to help slow down the action of the rod and in-turn reducing the outgassing. I installed the Rheem (magnesiun rod with the resistor) anode and have not had the problem since (this was about 18 months ago). I added another bed room to my house and had to install an additional water heater for the bathroom. The first thing I did was to replace the anode rod with one of Rheem's magnesium with the resistor and have not had the problem with this water heater (this was almost 12 months ago). Hope this will help others....

Plumber: Plumbing Pro, Plumber replied 7 years ago
Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Each manufacture makes a Aluminum Anode rod sold direct from them. These are made for water on well , and heavy iron.
Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber