How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick Your Own Question
Patrick, General Contractor
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 2429
Experience:  30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Patrick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When we run water the pipes make a loud noise. Sometimes the

Customer Question

When we run water the pipes make a loud noise. Sometimes the faucets will shake. It started upstairs and has recently spread throughout the house. The noise is constant, regardless of the water in use, ranging from the sinks to the washing machine to watering the grass outside. The house is only 5 yrs old. Please help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Patrick replied 8 years ago.
The noise you are hearing is called water hammer. If you have not had it until now you may be able to remedy it by doing the following: <br />You may need to allow your water arrestors to recharge. In some residences, pipes rise above the tee in order to trap air so that water does not "hammer" when turned on or off. Try turning off the water at the valve into your house. Open the hose bibbs, sink, bath and shower faucets and allow the cold water to drain out. Once drained, turn off the faucets and hose bibbs and turn the water supply valve back on. Start at the closest faucet to the water supply valve and turn them on throughout the house moving from closest to farthest. Air should sputter from each as you go. When you have all of the cold water running, air should be trapped in any arrestor pipes. Turn off the all faucets. Air should now be trapped in the arrestor pipes, softening the noise when water is turned off. If you do not have riser type arrestor pipes you may have cartridge type water arrestors. These are typically in the wall and are hard to get access to. The riser type water arrestor pipes can typically be seen in the attic running straight up 12" to 18" above the pipe tee dropping down the wall to your tub. Good luck. Also, you may need to do the same thing with the hot water side if you are experiencing the same problem there. But, it sounds like a cold water issue.