30yearPlumber
30yearPlumber, Plumber
Experience:  2nd generation, Master Plumber, Plumbing inspector, Code official
11872526

Difference between mobile home water heater and regular?

Will a regular residential hot water heater work in a mobile home?

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  30yearPlumber replied 8 years ago.

Regular home water heaters are not suited or legal for mobile home use. For instance a regular water heater is not made to be installed on combustible flooring.

In a mobile home there is a space issue so you will have problems with clearances to combustibles. I would spend the extra money and buy one made for mobile homes. (see the article)

Very different from site-built - Water Heaters

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does this go for gas or electric which I have?

I'm very sorry, i assumed it was gas. I can't think of anything they can do to an electric water heater except maybe make it smaller to make it a Mobile home water heater. I would just be very careful of the electrical requirements of the water heater and make sure you have enough power. They make all different sizes and single or double elements. If there is two elements they don't on on together, when cold the top element goes on and then it reaches temperature the bottom one goes on.

Shorter water heaters that have less capacity Example a 30 gallon will sometimes have just one element. If you are replacing an existing water heater, try to use one with a similar size element. they are rated in watts, and most residential water heaters are 4500 watts. I've seen that some heaters are 3500 watts however.

Thank you for using Just Answer.