Mario
Mario, Master Plumber
Experience:  Master Plumber, Fire Sprinkler, and Jobbing Spec.
14516829

How do you reset error codes on a rheem tankless water hea

Customer Question

How do you reset error codes on a rheem tankless water heater.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mario replied 8 years ago.

hi

turn the heater off at the switch for 2 min and turn it back on

if it dont go back on check the spill switch at the flue ( silver pipe ) it should have a red dot

depending on the model and year thay had a bad run of switches and it may need to be replaced

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Are you talking about the air sensor switch? The fan kicks on for about 5 seconds and then shuts off. I dont see any switch by the exaust flu
Expert:  Mario replied 8 years ago.

sorry the power switch to the unit ( the main switch )

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The power comes on fine. The error code I get is F (flash) 13. When the unit is plugged in the exaust fan kicks on for about 5 seconds then the fan shuts off. When I open a hot water faucet the unit does not kick on.
Expert:  Mario replied 8 years ago.

i understand the power is fine what i need you to do is shut the power off ( un plug ) the unit wait 2 min and re plug it if the unit dont go on and stay on you have a bad sensor that needs to be replaced

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The main switch is fine which is just a simple rocker switch. I verified voltage on both sides of the switch and at the circuit board. And 100 volts at the transformer which is what the diagram specifies. I have left the unit unplugged for 10 or so minutes and the same code pops up at the remote panel. Is there a way to clear the code at the remote panel?
Expert:  Mario replied 8 years ago.
on the inside panel or in the unit does it tell you what the error code is. the only way to reset the error code is to reset the board or to repair the issue some codes are for serious erorrs it could be a spill switch that could cause a carbon monxide issue and that is why it wont reset
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The error code is not listed. I contacted Rheem and they will call me back tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Mario replied 8 years ago.
your welcome good luck have a happy and helthy new year