30yearPlumber
30yearPlumber, Plumber
Experience:  2nd generation, Master Plumber, Plumbing inspector, Code official
11872526

my hot water heater will not come on. has a steady light blinking(start

Customer Question

my hot water heater will not come on. has a steady light blinking(start up failure).can i fix this myself . the reset button doesn`t reset it
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  30yearPlumber replied 8 years ago.

The best way to help you is if you can list the manufacturer and the model water heater.

If it's a power vent water heater that plugs in, I would unplug it for 30 seconds and plug it back in and see if it starts. Plumbertom

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
found in trouble shooting that the flashing light indicates no water in tank. THERE IS WATER IN TANK. i have a whirlpoo energy smart EE3J40RDO45V

Turn the power off for ten minutes to the water heater. then turn it back on. I'll be online. Please tell me what happens. Thanks. plumberTom

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the light continues to blink
How many times does it blink? Plumbertom
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
one blink which is fairly slow but constant

The water heater has been installed for awhile? It isn't new? PlumberTom. Does your board have a reset button?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
installed approx 2 years

Customer You have to reset the board three times. If you have a reset button on the board, push the button, if not turn off the power to the unit. Wait ten minutes. Repeat 3 times. I know it's a pain. Sorry. If this doesn't work after 3 tries you need a new board.

I hope it works!!! Plumbertom