Flagbridge-PL
Flagbridge-PL, Handyman/Handywoman
Experience:  Significant hands on experience in residential plumbing.
2368596

Water seems to be leaking out from under bathtub. We have ...

Customer Question

Water seems to be leaking out from under bathtub. We have removed old caulking and replace with new. The water eventually seeped through within 1 hour. Could this possible have anything to do with the toilet? I have checked the bathtub thorougly and there are no cracks anywhere. Can you please advise.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Flagbridge-PL replied 9 years ago.

This could be caused by a number of problems.

The layout of your bathroom would help indicated where a problem may be occurring.

Is this a basement bathroom, first floor, second floor etc?

Does the water leak constantly?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The water is constantly leaking slowly. The bathroom is on a firt floor.
Is there a bathroom on the second fllor, or a laundry room on the second floor?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
There is no second floor. Will I be charged for each question and reply. Just checking.
No you will not be charged for each question and response, You only need to click ACCEPT when you are happy with the answer.

Ok well I was trying to get the layout, as you need to think like water to track it down :).

I have seen this scenario many times before, and it can be cause by a few issues.

First is if the water is a constant leak there is either

a) a big pool of water underneath the tub that is slowly leaking out.
b) there is a leak on one of the service connection that is actually delivering the water to the tub. i.e. a joint is bad, tape is bad, a gasket is bad etc.

If the tub has a crack or is not sealed properly it may build water underneath (for example you may have an issue with the caulking around the shower doors, which is allowing the water to collect and then seep behind the tub either via unsealed mountings for the shower doors, or cracks in the tile allowing the water to seep behind the tile and then collect under the tub. This may also be an issue you you have a tub that is more then one piece.

The first area I would look at is the tub assembly, the tile around the tub, the shower doors, their mountings etc. Often tubs can have cracks that you do not even notice. You can get a tracer dye, or even a small bit of food coloring. Fill the tub half way with water, add just enough dye to slightly color the water, and the step the tub and walk around a small bit (that allows the crack to split a little to allow the water to seep underneath if that is the problem)

If you see coloured water come out from under the tub you know your tub has a crack.

You may also want to take of the shower valve face plate. It sits higher then the tub, so if it is leaking behind the wall it will pool the water beneath the tub.

That should be enough to get you going . Let me know if you need any more help.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your assistance we will try all of the above...