Plastic Surgery

Plastic surgery questions? Ask a plastic surgeon.

Ask a Doctor,

I had double chin liposuction a year ago, and it left lumps.

Customer Question
What is this and how...
I had double chin liposuction a year ago, and it left lumps. What is this and how can I get rid of them?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Plastic Surgery
5/28/2018
Plastic Surgeon: Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD) replied 2 months ago
Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)
Thank you for your question. The lumps are an uneven removal of fatty tissue and scarring from the liposuction. The “tracts” where liposuction was performed are visible. Have you massaged the areas to try to smooth them? Have you talked to the physician who performed the liposuction about this? Was the physician a board certified plastic surgeon?
I’ve massaged for months. I told my surgeon and he’s only told me to massage and it will go away. It’s been over a year now. He is board certified, but I don’t think I trust him anymore
Is there anything I can do to minimize these lumps?
Massage usually helps if the massage was started before the scar process started - 6-8 weeks after liposuction. You need another opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon. Sometimes kenalog (a steroid) can be injected into the arenas to soften and flatten these areas .