Plastic Surgery

Plastic surgery questions? Ask a plastic surgeon.

Ask a Doctor,

Is Ultherapy painful? Are there any major side effects?

For Plastic Surgeon,Is Ultherapy painful...
For Plastic Surgeon,Is Ultherapy painful? Are there any major side effects?
3/21/2018
Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)
Thank you for your question. Ultherapy is approved by the FDA but there are no long term results because it is relatively new. It uses ultrasound to work and this produces heat that can be painful. Therefore, some type of sedation is needed for this procedure. The side effects are minimal but can include unevenness and discoloration for a few months. Makeup will camouflage most of the discoloration. The results may last 3-5 years. I am available if you have more questions.
Thanks! Do you feel there are better alternatives?
Real self didn't list the best reviews. What is thermage?
Thermage uses radio frequency and is not a proven entity. There are better alternatives to Ultherapy with long term results. These are laser and chemical peel.
My doctor likes Novathread?
That is your doctor’s preference. Hope he has experience in Novathread
Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)