Plastic Surgery

Plastic surgery questions? Ask a plastic surgeon.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 10 days post op. I had a “lollipop” breast lift with…

Customer Question
I am 10 days...

I am 10 days post op. I had a “lollipop” breast lift with augmentation using Allergan high profile cohesive gel implants 450cc. These were the surgeons recommendations. I thought all was well until today when I removed the tape and actually looked at my incisions and saw that my remainding areola skin (since they were lifted and reduced) was used at the base of my breasts! It looks awful and I don’t know why this was done. How can I fix this? I don’t want a lot of scars and am just in shock that this is what I’m looking at.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No have not been able to contact the surgeon yet. No medication for this.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I also asked for lipo of the axillia region and upper arms. Upper arms were bruised and fine but the axilia area was not bruised, no pain, no swelling, same fat as before. I’m wondering if it was even done. I have pictures and don’t know what to do.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Everything else is quite normal. No infection normal swelling

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Plastic Surgery
I added pictures. I dont know what to do nor understand if this is normal practice. It was never mentioned to me as an option and it’s quite unsightly thank you!!
With the tape I had no idea this whole time.
Both breasts have old areola in the bottom. One more than the other.
Before pictures
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/6/2018
Plastic Surgeon: Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD) replied 3 months ago
Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)
Thank you for your question. The photographs were reviewed. It appears that what you describe about the areolae has occurred. Sometimes there is discoloration in the vertical part of the incision but this appears to be more than discoloration. If that is areolae in the vertical part of the incision, then more surgery will be required to remove that discoloration. You need to contact your physician and demand an explanation. Your surgeon must see you to explain this discoloration in the vertical portion of the incision. I am available if you have more questions.
Thank you so much for you help. As you can imagine, I’m under a lot of stress with this. I am only 30 years old and have never had any type of cosmetic surgery.I live in NJ and traveled to Florida to have this procedure done only because I knew someone that went to this doctor—then this happened. Because of this, it’s not easy to go and see him. On top of this, he is only at this cosmetic clinic two times per week. This is why I tried this service to get another opinion before I even speak with him.Do you know why a plastic surgeon would do something like this—leaving areolae in the vertical incision to that magnitude? I am not sure if this is pure negligence or something that is a common occurrence during these type of procedures. My thought is that he cut too much and couldn’t close my skin—but I am far from a doctor and can’t just assume that.I’m very sad about this as you can imagine. I didn’t think such a common procedure would turn into this. In your opinion? How would you answer the above questions? And how easily is this fixed? What would need to be done to have a normal scar/end result.Also. As far as the lipo of axillia region. Here is a picture. I had zero bruising zero pain zero nothing. I paid for this procedure and it seems he didn’t even touch it. What would you say after looking at this photo?Thanks again for everything. I do not know where else to go for help for now.
If you see where he marked my skin, you see the areola area that he did not remove and just left there. Leaving me with what looks like a deformity in my opinion.
I confirmed it’s the areolae because that’s my beauty mark.
This same one
I reviewed all the photographs. That appears to be the areolae in the vertical incision. The correction of this can only be done after you are healing. To operate now would really lead to a high chance of infection and poor healing. I hope you have a plastic surgeon who is going to follow you in New Jersey until you are healed. The correction of the vertical area may be a scar revision but it is too early to make that decision. I have never seen areola in the vertical incision after the type of procedure you underwent. It also appears that not enough, if any, liposuction was performed in the axillary areas. You may be correct in your evaluation of why areolae is in the vertical incision.
Assuming that this happened because he cut too much skin, once I am finished healing how would I be able to fix if I am lacking skin? Does the skin stretch enough to remove all of this with a scar revision? How many months is healing—about 6? I just want to have an idea what to expect.I’m going to have to do what it takes eventually. I really wish this didn’t happen. I’m actually going crazy calling plastic surgeons in NJ to follow me but no one seems to want to unless they did the surgery. I even had to ask my primary care physician to cut the knot of the stitches that they said to cut off after a week and they rest dissolve on my own. I’m still calling more doctors. I didn’t think getting surgery done by a board certified surgeon in the US would turn into such a difficult process. That and being unable to locate my surgeon at the moment is what lead me here—which I’m glad I did because you have helped a lot. Thank you.
Healing time is a minimum of 6 months. I don’t think you should consider any revision until you are closer to 12 months after surgery. The skin does stretch with time and you do not want to do anything too soon. That is the problem with having your surgery performed out of town. Most board certified plastic surgeons do not want to get involved with some other surgeon’s surgery for obvious reasons. You always can return to the surgeon that performed your surgery. It is increased liability that is the reason most doctors do not want to get involved with another surgeon’s problem.
Thank you so much for your help. I am going to wait as long as possible. I completely understand why other surgeons wouldn’t want to be involved. I’m going to fly back to Florida for a weekend.In your honest opinion, will my skin stretch enough to even revise the one with the most areola skin? It’s a pretty wide area. Does it matter that the skin is different? When I touch it you can feel how much thinner it is than surrounding skin. Also, my areolas look fine with internal dissolvable stitches, but it seems that in one of them it separated a bit—no longer flat and attached. Is this something I need to fix ASAP or is that just something that happens? The left areola is all together and flat. I’m assuming the one that opened won’t have as good of a scar.Thanks again for answering all of my many questions. Truly appreciate your help.
It is good that you are going to Florida to see your surgeon. It is too early to tell exactly how the vertical scar can be revised. The skin will stretch with time. It is also best to wait at least a year to address the vertical scar. As far as a minor separation of the areola is concerned, that is a fairly common occurrence. Sometimes the resultant scar is worse because of that. The best thing you can do with regards ***** ***** vertical scar is wait.
At this point I’m super concerned because I’ve contacted the practice about this situation and they are completely ignoring me. Even about follow up care! This is a board certified surgeon with 20+ experience and it’s very shocking. I haven’t heard back I’ve been trying every day.At this point I’m here with zero follow up care after this procedure. I’m concerned. I think this might unfortunately turn into a legal case even if I was trying to seriously avoid that and just take care of my health.In the meantime, I’m worried. If I go to the ER would they be able to look at the wounds for healing or infection? I don’t even know what to do or how to care for my wounds. This is so crazy. Very crazy.Thank you again so much.
The fact that your surgeon won’t respond to you is ridiculous. Your surgeon is obligated to take care of you in the post operative period. In the meantime, you need to have your surgical areas examined by a physician and preferably, a board certified plastic surgeon. You can go to an emergency room but it has to be at a hospital where a plastic surgeon is available.
Where in Florida is your surgeon?
It absolutely is ridiculous and I feel very stuck right now. Last time I mentioned here that I was going to fly to Florida, but that hasn’t even been an option since they won’t even respond to set an appointment. The moment I mentioned that there was an error, the receptionist told me to email and send pictures. I did and received no answer. I then emailed again and asked them to at least acknowledge that the email was received and got no response. Then spoke to the surgical coordinator twice and she said she was getting the surgeon to call me and has since ignored all my calls. It’s been over a week now being ignored. I was planning on heading there to be seen, but how could I?In the meantime I’m in NJ and no surgeon will see me for obvious reasons and I have no way to tell if I’m even healing appropriately or what to do. I’m just going Day by Day with the tape over the wounds praying this is ok. This is why I decided to ask you if you think the ER would help. I might have to go and see. I don’t know what else to do.The surgeon is located in Miami Florida, is double board certified, and has many years of experience. I thought I made a decent choice because of this. So you can imagine why I am shocked by this and also shocked by what happened with my surgery in the first place. I had a bad feeling because he did my surgery at 11:30pm after working since 6am but was told that’s typical for him so I ignored it. This is beyond what I could have imagined would occur.Can’t thank you enough.
Also still waiting for my surgical report. They said they mailed it but do not have it. I don’t know if he made any comments there. He has not spoken to me since before I went under anesthesia.
Starting an elective procedure at 11:30PM after working all day is very unusual. You could fly back to Miami and just show up at his office. You should not be afraid of your surgeon. It sounds like you could be one of many of his problems.
Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)