Plastic Surgery

Plastic surgery questions? Ask a plastic surgeon.

Ask a Doctor,

My lips have turned dark purple dry while inside of them is…

Customer Question
My lips have turned dark...
My lips have turned dark purple dry while inside of them is moist pink. It is for a few years now. I use lip moisturizing balm regularly. But it is not helping.I showed this to my doctor but they could not help. The blood test did not show anything abnormal.Is there any solution to it cosmetically?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Plastic Surgery
1/2/2018
Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

do you have a picture?

Plastic Surgeon: Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD) replied 7 months ago
Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)
Thank you for your question. Do you have any other symptoms in other parts of your body? Is this discoloration related to temperature changes? Do you have any discoloration of the hands? There really is not much to do for the discoloration but to be aware of it especially if it is related to cold temperature changes. I am available if you have more questions and await your answers to my questions.
There is no discoloration in other parts of the body.I am attaching few pictures. Notice dark color outside while the inside color is pink.
This discoloration of lips are in the making for last 2-3 years. Before it was fine. It is not mere temperature change affect.
The discoloration you are seeing is a normal variation in the aging process. Even though you do not appear to be very old, these changes do occur due to pigment changes in the lips. Continue moisturizing but unfortunately there is no treatment to improve the discoloration.
I was asking about changes in the color of the lips and hands to make sure you didn’t have a vascular abnormality - mainly Raynaud’s Disease. This is a disease process that cause discoloration due to vascular spasm which you apparently do not have.
Any cosmetic solution to it? Continous application of Lip balm does not change color even for a day.I was thinking if some botox type of thing may help. I know Botox is for creases in skin. But may be some thing for pigmentation only like whiting cream type.
Lip balm will not change the color but it will keep the area moisturized as you know. Botox will not have any effect on discoloration. You can try camouflage cosmetics if you are so inclined. If you have more questions, you may want to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to see if laser is a possibility. Laser may not help because the discoloration is usually too deep for laser to be effective. Many plastic surgeons have camouflage cosmetics available in their office.
What is camouflage cosmetics? You mean lipstick?
Camouflage cosmetics is a type of cosmetic used to coverage skin color changes. For men it is a shaded lip balm to cover the discoloration.
Will Laser therapy cure this problem permanently?
Probably not but it may lessen the discoloration
Laser will lessen the discoloration for how long?
Everybody heals differently. There is no way to give an accurate answer to that - maybe a few years and maybe longer
Thanks, doctor! It was very useful.
You are welcome