Plastic Surgery

Plastic Surgery Questions? Ask a Plastic Surgeon.

Ask a Doctor,

Plastic Surgery

I had a double preventative mastectomy in March 2015 - while

Customer Question
having reconstructive surgery in May...
I had a double preventative mastectomy in March 2015 - while having reconstructive surgery in May 2015 I had a tummy tuck as well. I had complications with both surgeries. I had to have 8 surgeries on the breasts before I had latissimus doris flap procedures on both. I got infection in my tummy tuck incision so while having one of my breast surgeries, my dr. went in and cleaned it out leaving me with a gash that i had to pack everyday until it healed.
I am know having upper abdomen swelling. My stomach is so distended I liik like i am 9 months pregnant. I have burning, pins and needles, tightness and tenderness. I recently had a CAT scan, blood tests and endoscopy to rule out anything. Ass tests came back negative. I went back to my plastic surgeon and he pulled up the CAT scan and said he saw nothing on it to indicate it was anything with my tummy tuck surgery.
I need help. I have researched lymph edema, seroma and pseudobursa. I have no idea what it is but I do know that it needs to be fixed.
DO you have any suggestions??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Plastic Surgery
6/20/2016
Plastic Surgeon: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I would get a second opinion from another general surgeon or plastic surgeon to review your CT scan.

you should ask to try nerve pain medications like neurontin or lyrica to see if these help your burning pain.

infection and healing by secondary intention can cause scar tissue and pain and nerve damage and disruption of your lymphatic flow.

you should ask for referral to a lymphadema clinic to see if you may benefit from lymphedema massage therapy

you should be seeing nurses at the wound clinic as well

you may benefit from hyperbaric oxygen chamber therapy to help your wound heal

let me know if you have questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All of my wounds are totally healed and have been for months. A radiologist and my regular medical doctor reviewed the CAT scan before my plastic surgeon even saw it.

you may benefit from seeing a neurologist or a pain management doctor to help you with your pain and symptoms.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry to bother - but my main reason for question was about the stomach distention and hardness, etc. The pain is minimal, the tightness, looking like I am 9 months pregnant, etc.. are bad and I am thinking that I should not look like this 13 months after a tummy tuck

I can't see or examine your abdomen.

I can't see how distended or hard it is

Plastic Surgeon: Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD) replied 1 year ago
Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)
Thank you for your question. You should not feel like you are 9 months pregnant after undergoing the surgery you had. The most likely diagnosis is a large fluid collection in the abdominal area. You should obtain another opinion from an experienced board certified plastic surgeon and an MRI of the abdomen. I am available if you have more questions.
Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)