Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)
Experience:  30 years experience; Board Certified in Plastic Surgery; Member American College of Surgeons;
50717427

I have a question, I have had 4 children and last two were c

Customer Question

I have a question, I have had 4 children and last two were c sections- 2/3/12 was most recent. I also had a tubal no complications with any. I have a small umbilical hernia and about an inch and a half of muscle separation. My question is I recently noticed a kind of pinching pain about an inch to the left of my belly button and 2 inches down from there. It feels like it's in my skin or fatty tissue or muscle. Not internal at all. I have started working out and we do a lot with weight . We recently went on vacation, and didn't notice it at all nov4-9 it was just yesterday and today mostly again. What could this be? I did see my dr before we left because I could feel a small mass of muscle that felt hard he thinks it's a little bit of scar tissue or just muscle?
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. An exam is required to be precise but it sounds like your pain is related to the umbilical hernia. Sometimes a small segment of bowel is involved with a hernia. As long as the hernia reduces itself meaning that the hernia is not "trapped", you will have some symptoms of pain and then it subsides. If the pain increases, it may be related to your exercising or it may mean that the hernia is increasing in size. You need to be examined by either a board certified general surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon. I am available if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so it is possible to have pain on the left side and down a bit when the hernia is above my belly button?

That is possible. You need to be examined.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you..! Also my muscle separation is three fingers width apart, I have been doing plank and squats with weights 2xs per week. I feel like that could also be apart of it? I'm not sure if that's possible though?!

It is possible that the muscle separation is also causing a problem. You are correct.