Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)
Experience:  30 years experience; Board Certified in Plastic Surgery; Member American College of Surgeons;
50717427

How is recovery after breast reduction and why is my chest

How long is recovery after breast reduction and why is my chest going to be so tight post op?

Thank you for your question. Breast reduction surgery is excellent surgery in the proper patient. This surgery will decrease back pain, shoulder pain, breast pain and will allow for easier readings of mammograms. You have to be limited in activity for 3-4 weeks after surgery. Most surgical areas feel "tight" until the area heals. I am available if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why are they tight and what does it mean when it says your breast will fill out? I lost over 56 pounds and didn't loose breast cup just inches and my back neck the brushing n grooves always hurt . My surgery is Friday. Is this a safe, invasive, or major surgery compared to my gastric sleeve?

You appear to be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. It will eliminate the pain from the grooves in the shoulders also. It is major surgery but it is different than internal surgery. You will be limited after surgery so that your wounds heal but you will not have any digestive issues after surgery. Your breasts will not fill out but will soften as healing takes place. Breast reduction surgery is excellent surgery for relief of symptoms and you will feel better after surgery.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What's the difference from internal surgery? Secondly what do u mean by they will not fill out?

Breast reduction surgery involves the breast tissue only so you will not have to heal internally (bowel) and the skin so it is less invasive. Also, the breast will soften with time as you heal. They will not fill out more after surgery unless you gain weight.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Meaning they will stay the size me n my surgeon discussed he is taking them down to 36D? What if I drop weight? When the result be different. Eventually will I be able to lift weights to keep them firm? When would I be able to get back on my ellioticsl because it requires arm movement? Or can I use it without the arms ?

The size of your breasts will change after surgery if you lose or gain about 25 pounds. Lifting weights will keep the muscle beneath the breast firm but you should not do any weight lifting or exercise for at least 3-4 weeks after surgery. The areas need to heal before doing that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm anemia my levels last lab were 11.4 will this affect my surgery at all? Is there a lot of blood lost?

There is blood loss related to the amount of tissue that is removed because there is blood in the tissue. You usually do not require a blood transfusion with this surgery. Your doctor will check your blood levels after surgery and place you on iron supplements if needed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great. My recovery time to go back to work is that 3-4 weeks? I'm a medical Socialworker I don't lift just assessed n make sure discharges are safe. Is the healing process long?

You can return to work at that time as long as you do not left. Total healing time is 6-12 months for the scars to totally heal. By 6 weeks, you should be able to start exercising.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay my surgeon stated I can return to work in a week? But your saying it's going to take 3-4 weeks before I can return?

Listen to your surgeon but it may take longer than a week. Everybody is different.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay thank you

You are welcome