How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Herb Goldberg Your Own Question
Dr. Herb Goldberg
Dr. Herb Goldberg, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Category: Plastic Surgery
Satisfied Customers: 298
Experience:  35 years experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Certified by the American Board
Type Your Plastic Surgery Question Here...
Dr. Herb Goldberg is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born with clubbed thumbs (brachydactyly type D) and am

Customer Question

I was born with clubbed thumbs (brachydactyly type D) and am having trouble finding a plastic surgeon who can improve the appearance. Is there anyone in the world capable of this type of surgery?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. You need to contact a hand surgeon at a university near you. Most board certified plastic surgeons in private practice will not do this type of surgery. What university medical center is closest to you? I am available if you have more questions.

Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 2 years ago.

If you are interested in surgery, you need to have a consultation at a university hospital associated with a medical school that has a Department of Hand Surgery and a Department of Microvascular Surgery. Three of these medical schools would be Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Stanford.