Plastic Surgery

Plastic Surgery Questions? Ask a Plastic Surgeon.

Ask a Doctor,

Plastic Surgery

Had cancer removed on lip and in order to stitch it up part

Customer Question
of the chin was opened...
Had cancer removed on lip and in order to stitch it up part of the chin was opened and stitched back. The incision got infected and stitches had to be removed. This left a big ugly scar. will the skin grow back?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plastic Surgery
5/22/2015
Plastic Surgeon: Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD) replied 2 years ago
Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)

Thank you for your question. When did you have the lip cancer removed? All wounds heal with scar tissue and that takes 6-12 months to heal. The skin does not grow back. You may require a scar revision if you do not like how it has healed after 6-12 months. All scars improve with time. Sometimes massage of the scar and the use of silicone gel can help a scar. I am available if you have more questions.

Dr. Herb Goldberg
Dr. Herb Goldberg
Dr. Herb Goldberg, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon