Plastic Surgery

Plastic surgery questions? Ask a plastic surgeon.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 17 days post op from a breast reduction. I just took…

I am 17 days...

I am 17 days post op from a breast reduction. I just took the last of the tape off very carefully and there is a HOLE that had some yellow ooze and a little blood coming out of it... I'm kind of freaking out. I do have a picture I can upload... should I be concerned about this?

4/25/2015
Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)
Thank you for your question. The hole is not unusual. It represents a minor superficial separation of the skin. It occurs at that area because it is the area of the breast where the 2 flaps of tissue are joined to the base of the incisions. It usually heals by itself. You need to keep that area clean and it is best to keep a sterile gauze over it. When do you see your surgeon again? I am available if you have more questions.
Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)

I saw him this past Monday and am not scheduled again til May 4th... but I am totally freaking out. The other side is not like this. I am really struggling to keep it together ... but whenever I call or go in they make me feel like my concerns are non issues... and I'm just not feeling very re-assured.

The area of non healing you have is NOT unusual as I already stated. It will heal. You should let your surgeon know about it in the morning.

ok-thanks... was planning on that..just didn't know if it warranted a call tonight.

A call in the morning should be done. Keep a sterile gauze I over the area for the night and try to get some sleep.

thanks-I'm still lining lower edges the marena bra with thin maxi pads to protect the incisions... so hopefully that will do it.

That is fine
Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)