Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

My Panasonic Model KX-TG6671 landline phone says Check tel…

Customer Question
My Panasonic Model KX-TG6671...

My Panasonic Model KX-TG6671 landline phone says Check tel line. Everything is connected properly. What do I do next?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone system?

Panasonic Model KX-TG6671

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your KX-TG6671? What have you tried so far?

Just this afternoon (May 31, 2018). I have checked all connections, plugged and unplugged the AC cord; done the same for my AT&T wireless transmitter (including disconnecting, taking out and putting back in the battery and plugging the wireless transmitter AC cord back in...I am still receiving the same message on my Panasonic landline phone.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

When I was talking on my Panasonic landline phone this morning, I was hearing three beeps during two separate telephone conversations.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Phone Systems
5/31/2018
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 21 days ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Total of 2 handsets the Check tel line message appears on Base Unit and the 2 handsets. No other phone/fax connections. Landline phone is through AT&T Wireless, using an AT&T Wireless Transmitter and AT&T cellphone towers

This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality, and let me know the results, please.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Complied with instructions from Nathan, Electronics Technician on 31 May 2018 03:46 PM. Base Unit and Headset displays still say Check tel line after waiting 30 minutes and restoring all connections. You will not be able to call me via cellphone...my cellphone died and is now recharging...sorry.

No problem,

we can continue here, or I can give you a call in a bit after your phone is charged.

As a next step though, unplug power to the ATT transmitter, and remove its battery, minimum of 5 minutes

restore both then test the line again

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Unplugged power to the ATT transmitter, removed battery, 15 minutes...then restored both. Tested the line again. The 2 handsets are still charging from removing the batteries for 30 minutes. No dial tone. Display on Base Unit and both handsets still say Check tel line. At this time you will not be able to call me on my cellphone. My cellphone turned itself off...zero power...needs 100% charge.

Okay at this point it would be necessary to test another device on the line to properly isolate the source of the problem.

Can you pull an old phone out of storage, borrow one from a neighbor for a few minutes, buy a cheap basic corded phone at walmart, etc and plug that to the att unit to see if you can get a dial tone?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I pulled out an AT&T DECT 6.0 corded landline phone with 1 headset and made all connections from this phone to the AT&T transmitter. Unplugged AT&T transmitter and removed battery...reconnected battery and plugged in AT&T transmitter. From AT&T transmitter, display for power on (green light) is the only light on...under normal conditions, the battery light and signal strength light would each be showing a green light. The Base Unit display says No line.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Sorry...1 headset should have said 1 handset.
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 20 days ago
Thanks for checking. This is an issue with your att box which is not connecting to the cell network and is not generating a line tone. You will need to have Att replace that cellular line adapter for you. The new one should work properly with your Panasonic.
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 16 days ago

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.