Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

My phones say "Line in use" I have been to all phones,

Customer Question
My phones say "Line...

My phones say "Line in use" I have been to all phones, turned them off and turned them on again to no avail. What do I do?????

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

The brand is Panasonic - dI thought that's where I went

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Panasonic product?

I already told you that- I turned them off and turned them on

Technician's Assistant: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?

Again I say - I turned every one off then turned them on again

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. Do yo have any suggestions?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
I don't have an Iphone. Please don't sent me an app.
5/29/2018
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 2 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the main base station, not the handset)

I have 4 handsets. They all say the same thing. No fax. Phone company is ATT Model KX-TGF370
I thought this would some simple thing

This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality, and let me know the results, please.

I'm 74 years old!!! I don't understand the message you put on my phone
Do you know the answer or have you hung up???

I provided you an answer, above, 5 minutes ago,

please read and follow the instructions I provided.

Again:

2) remove batteries from all handsets

How do I get the answer?
Never mind! I found it

Thank you,

please go through these steps and let me know the results when you have a chance

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

I did what you suggested but it didn't work. Im just at a loss.

That was an initial step,

at this point it would be necessary to test another device on the line.

Can you find another phone and plug into the same telephone wall jack as the panasonic, preferably just a regular corded/wall phone? Perhaps you have an old one in storage, or can borrow one from a neighbor for a few minutes or buy a cheap one at walmart to test?

It has worked for five years and now just doesn't. I was hoping to get in touch with panasonic but got to your site . I guess I justI throw it away but it was expensesive, and I did like having a land line

That may not make any difference at all.

There is not necessarily anything wrong with the panasonic, it may be an issue with the line/service. You really need to test another device to confirm that.

If it is a line issue, then it would be ATTs responsibility to fix it.

If it is the panasonic, then yes it would need to be replaced, they are not repairable, and 5 years is a completely normal and expected life for this type of system. But if you just call att out first and they find no problem, they are going to charge you $100+ for their wasted trip, money that would have been better spent on a new phone at that point. This is why you should test something else on the line first to determine the root of the problem so it can be properly addressed.