Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

My phones read "no line" I cannot call out There is no dial…

Customer Question
My phones read "no...

My phones read "no line" I cannot call out There is no dial tone. I am not receiving any calls.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone system?

Vtech where do I find the model?

Technician's Assistant: The Phone System Technician will be able to walk you through that. How long has this been going on with your VTech system? What have you tried so far?

I first noticed it last night about 9 p.m.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
5/29/2018
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with troubleshooting this issue today.
Please give me a few moments to review your question and respond.

To help with this issue, may I ask:
1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base.
2) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
3) Do you have ANY other phones (NOT part of the Vtech system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close or ignore) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.
Thanks

CS6529-4.
2. Spectrum
3. No

Hi again and thanks for that information.

The FIRST THING to TEST is IF the PHONE CORD - between the MAIN BASE and the phone jack is properly connected.

If you can, please removed the phone cord from both the MAIN BASE and the phone jack - wait about 30 seconds - and then reconnect both ends.

Let me know IF you can do that AND the results.

Thanks

no

I'm sorry - I don't know what the "no" response is for.

Can you send a bit more detail?

I do not want to switch to a live phone call

Hi again,
You MAY be seeing pop-up requests - such as for a phone call.
As mentioned earlier:
ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me).
Please continue to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.
Thanks

i decline live phone calls

I understand that.

Can you tell me if you can do the last TEST I mentioned (scroll UP to see that)?

are you still with me?

I'm still here.

Did you see the last TEST I mentioned?

no. I didn't see the test
did you type it?

Yes - it was typed.

Here is is again:

Thanks

I checked the base. It must be OK. the 0 is lit.

Did you REMOVE the PHONE CORD From both ends - and then reconnect it after about 30 seconds?

no. I'll do it now.
i did it.

OK - can you now TEST - by pressing the SPEAKER button on any cordless handset - and let me know IF you hear a dial tone?

Still no dial tone.

OK - do you still see the NO LINE on the display of ALL handsets?

I checked all but one. They all say "no line". The fourth is somewhere with my roommate.

OK - very good.

The NEXT TEST involves having access to an outside phone - such as a cell phone or neighbor's phone.

So do you have access to such an outside phone?

are you still working with me?

Yes - I'm still here.

Did you see my last question?

you asked if I still saw the "no line" message on my phones

Here is the NEXT question I sent:

I have my cell phone here.

OK - if you have a WORKING cell phone, the NEXT TEST is to use that cell phone - and place a TEST CALL to the LANDLINE number.

This is to TEST what is heard - IN THE CALLING PHONE - just like anyone else would hear.

Please place that TEST CALL and LISTEN CAREFULLY.

Then tell me EXACTLY what is heard IN THE CALLING PHONE during that TEST CALL.

Please include any number of rings heard, if an announcement is heard, etc.

Thanks

it rang 5 times before the message came on

OK - can I assume that the rings were heard ONLY IN THE CALLING PHONE - and NOT the phone that is connected to the home phone line?

Only in the calling phone.

OK - very good.

NEXT TROUBLESHOOTING STEP/QUESTION:

Do you have a "MAIN BOX" from the service provider - where the PHONE CORD from the Vtech system connects?

NOTE: These main box may be referred to as a "modem" - by the service provider.

I have a modem.

OK - is the PHONE CORD from the Vtech BASE connected DIRECTLY to that modem?

no. they are rooms apart.

OK - can you FIND that modem and tell me if there are SEVERAL "indicator lights" on the FRONT - one of which is labeled "PHONE 1" or "TEL 1"?

Hi again,
I see it has been a while and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)