Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

My vtech phone only rings three times. I need to have a much…

Customer Question
My vtech phone only...

My vtech phone only rings three times. I need to have a much longer number of times now that I have moved. I tried the instructions to hit *94 after the dial tone, but nothing happens except more dial tone. Is there another way to get more than three rings?

Technician's Assistant: What VTech system do you have?

Old.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your VTech system? What have you tried so far?

The three rings were from the start of when I bought the system. I know I have have them for at least ten years.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Phone Systems
5/28/2018
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 24 days ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.
Sorry to hear of any issue with your phone/message systems.
To help with this issue, may I ask:
1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base (not a cordless handset).
2) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
3) Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the Vtech system) attached to this same phone line?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close or ignore) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.
Thanks

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The model number is: Model L:CS6929-3 Other number is *****:WF(###) ###-####2) I'm looking for the phone service provider number. Just a minute. OK The provider is Comcast.
3) No other phone devices are attached to this phone line.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Since you have a service provider (Comcast) that often has a "Voicemail" system active, we MUST determine IF their voicemail system IS active and taking the calls after 3 rings.

So to do that, may I ask IF you have access to an outside phone - such as a cell phone - that can be used to place TEST CALLS to the landline number?

If so, please turn OFF the Vtech Answering system, and then place that TEST CALL - to see IF the Comcast Voicemail system picks up the call.

Let me know if you can do this first TEST.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
OK I can call my regular phone with my cell phone.

Very good.

NOTE: There is no need to copy and paste ALL of your previous responses.

Since you DO have a cell phone - please turn OFF the Vtech Answering system, and then place that TEST CALL - to see IF the Comcast Voicemail system picks up the call.

Let me know the RESULTS of this first TEST CALL.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
OK I can call my regular phone with my cell phone.I don't know how to turn off the Vtech Answering system.

OK - there is an "ANS ON/OFF" button - on the MAIN BASE - that controls turning ON or OFF the Vtech answering system.

There is also a "light" right next to that button.

Touch that button so that the light is NOT on.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
OK I can call my regular phone with my cell phone.OK I think I got it. Should I do the test call when you give me the word?

Yes - do the TEST CALL when you have turned OFF the Vtech answering system.

And let me know EXACTLY what you hear - IN THE CALLING PHONE - including any number of rings.

NOTE: IF the Comcast system DOES pick up the call, please TRY to leave a 10-12 second TEST MESSAGE of some kind.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
OK I can call my regular phone with my cell phone.OK I think I got it. Should I do the test call when you give me the word?There were five rings before the message came up. The message was as usual and I anwered a short reply.. This was all done on the cell phone line, the calling line, not the receiving line. I hope this is right.

OK - that does sound correct. AND IF the Vtech system was switched OFF during that call, we can CONFIRM that it is the Comcast Voicemail that is taking the calls and recording the messages - after the five rings heard.

So can you now tell me how you NORMALLY receive and listen to messages that are left for you?

That is, do you press the PLAY/STOP button on the MAIN BASE - or use some OTHER method?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
OK I can call my regular phone with my cell phone.OK I think I got it. Should I do the test call when you give me the word?There were five rings before the message came up. The message was as usual and I anwered a short reply.. This was all done on the cell phone line, the calling line, not the receiving line. I hope this is right.When a message is left there is a three ring buzz on the line. I then respond with star 98 and that activates the message to begin.

OK - can that method NOW be used - to listen to the TEST MESSAGE that was just left?

Also, do you have a Comcast "online account" - where you can access any account settings?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
OK I can call my regular phone with my cell phone.OK I think I got it. Should I do the test call when you give me the word?There were five rings before the message came up. The message was as usual and I anwered a short reply.. This was all done on the cell phone line, the calling line, not the receiving line. I hope this is right.When a message is left there is a three ring buzz on the line. I then respond with star 98 and that activates the message to begin.Yes I can listen to that message.No I do not have access to account settings. I live in a large appartment bldg. and Comcast is the bldg. provider.

OK - having a "building-wide" service provider MAY be a "wrinkle" in the way the Comcast settings can be accessed, but it MAY still be possible - as long as you have a separate "billing" account with Comcast.

Let me give you a link to a Comcast support page, that discusses "How to Change the Number of Rings Before Voicemail Answers".

I believe there are instructions on the Comcast "login" page - to CREATE an online account - if that is needed.

Click here --> https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-number-of-rings-before-calls-are-forwarded

I'm referring you to this page BECAUSE the only way available to change the number of rings for a Comcast phone service is through their ONLINE tools, or using one of their "apps" - on a smart phone.

IF you can not set up an account, you MAY have to contact the folks that run the BUILDING SERVICES or Maintenance. This would especially be true IF the building is providing a "shared phone service" to all of the residents.

I hope this has helped. Please let me know what you find OR if you have any more questions about your Vtech phone or phone services.

If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, at the TOP of your screen.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 20 days ago

Hi again,
I see it has been a while and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)