Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I am getting a continuing "Line in Use" display on my

Customer Question
I am getting a...

I am getting a continuing "Line in Use" display on my handsets. Why?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone system?

Panosonic KX-TGA652

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your KX-TGA652? What have you tried so far?

Just today.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

Just that outside access is blocked with a busy signal.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Phone Systems
5/27/2018
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with troubleshooting this issue today.
To help with this issue, may I ask:
1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? Since this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base (model sent is for a single cordless handset).
2) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
3) Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the Panasonic system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close or ignore) any such offers,
and continue in this text/chat form.
Thanks

The correct Model No. is KX-TG6532B
My phone is non-functional at this time.

Thanks for that model.

Please try to respond to:

I just told you, I don't have a functional phone.
When functional, my service is thru Verizon.

Hi again,
You MAY be seeing pop-up requests - such as for a phone call.
As mentioned earlier:
ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me).
Please continue to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

OK - FIRST troubleshooting step:

Please DISCONNECT the PHONE CORD from the MAIN BASE (or phone jack) - and leave it disconnected.

While disconnected, check the DISPLAY and let me know if the message CHANGES - to something like "Check tel line".

Thanks

the display changed to "Check Tel Line".
Can this indicate that the trouble might be outside the house?

OK - very good.

That tells us that the Panasonic phone is "detecting" when the phone cord is connected to the phone line - or not.

So let me ask a little more about the SERVICE - from the Provider (Verizon).

Is this a "digital" phone service - where you get a "bundle" of services from the provider - OR - a more standard "analog" service - that is "hard wired" into your home?

My service is for my land line only.

OK - next troubleshooting question:

Do you have access to an OUTSIDE line - such as a cell phone or neighbor's phone?

The REASON I ask is so you can place a TEST CALL to the landline number - to hear what a caller would hear - when trying to call IN.

An outside caller gets a busy signal.

OK - can you place a NEW TEST CALL to the Verizon number - WITH THE PHONE CORD DISCONNECTED - to see if that call STILL gets a busy signal?

I'll try.

Just make sure the PHONE CORD is disconnected - from ANY PHONE or DEVICE that may be connected to the SERVICE.

The same busy signal.

OK - can you tell me if you have ANY Verizon equipment INSIDE the home - such as a "box" where the phone cord of the Panasonic base connects?

I just remembered that my modem is connected to the same phone line.

OK - IF there is ANYTHING connected to the phone line, please DISCONNECT those devices - WAIT about FIVE MINUTES - and then place the TEST CALL again - while EVERYTHING is disconnected.

This is to TEST if something inside is holding the line active - and causing the BUSY condition.

Thanks

OK

I will wait for the results of this new TEST CALL - and if you still get they BUSY (or not).

Hi again,
I see it has been a while and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)