Phone Systems

Ask a Phone Systems Question, Get an Answer ASAP!

I am getting a continuing "Line in Use" display on my

Customer Question
I am getting a...

I am getting a continuing "Line in Use" display on my handsets. Why?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone system?

Panosonic KX-TGA652

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your KX-TGA652? What have you tried so far?

Just today.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

Just that outside access is blocked with a busy signal.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Phone Systems
5/27/2018
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 27 days ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with troubleshooting this issue today.
To help with this issue, may I ask:
1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? Since this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base (model sent is for a single cordless handset).
2) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?
3) Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the Panasonic system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close or ignore) any such offers,
and continue in this text/chat form.
Thanks

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The correct Model No. is KX-TG6532B
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
My phone is non-functional at this time.

Thanks for that model.

Please try to respond to:

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I just told you, I don't have a functional phone.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
When functional, my service is thru Verizon.

Hi again,
You MAY be seeing pop-up requests - such as for a phone call.
As mentioned earlier:
ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me).
Please continue to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

OK - FIRST troubleshooting step:

Please DISCONNECT the PHONE CORD from the MAIN BASE (or phone jack) - and leave it disconnected.

While disconnected, check the DISPLAY and let me know if the message CHANGES - to something like "Check tel line".

Thanks

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
the display changed to "Check Tel Line".
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Can this indicate that the trouble might be outside the house?

OK - very good.

That tells us that the Panasonic phone is "detecting" when the phone cord is connected to the phone line - or not.

So let me ask a little more about the SERVICE - from the Provider (Verizon).

Is this a "digital" phone service - where you get a "bundle" of services from the provider - OR - a more standard "analog" service - that is "hard wired" into your home?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
My service is for my land line only.

OK - next troubleshooting question:

Do you have access to an OUTSIDE line - such as a cell phone or neighbor's phone?

The REASON I ask is so you can place a TEST CALL to the landline number - to hear what a caller would hear - when trying to call IN.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
An outside caller gets a busy signal.

OK - can you place a NEW TEST CALL to the Verizon number - WITH THE PHONE CORD DISCONNECTED - to see if that call STILL gets a busy signal?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I'll try.

Just make sure the PHONE CORD is disconnected - from ANY PHONE or DEVICE that may be connected to the SERVICE.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The same busy signal.

OK - can you tell me if you have ANY Verizon equipment INSIDE the home - such as a "box" where the phone cord of the Panasonic base connects?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I just remembered that my modem is connected to the same phone line.

OK - IF there is ANYTHING connected to the phone line, please DISCONNECT those devices - WAIT about FIVE MINUTES - and then place the TEST CALL again - while EVERYTHING is disconnected.

This is to TEST if something inside is holding the line active - and causing the BUSY condition.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
OK

I will wait for the results of this new TEST CALL - and if you still get they BUSY (or not).

Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 23 days ago

Hi again,
I see it has been a while and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)